Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had blood work done about a week ago and one of them was

Customer Question

I had blood work done about a week ago and one of them was hemoglobin. Yesterday I was just able to view the result of my blood work results for the first time on my computer. I have question about the hemoglobin test. The reference range they want it at to be considered normal is between 10.9-14.3 mine was slightly elevated at 14.6, now I workout at high intensity almost everyday, because I am going to school to become a personal trainer, but I noticed I get out of breath easily and tired when I work out could this be due to the slightly elevated hemoglobin result, and if so is there a way I can improve it. I have lost about 100 pounds since my highest weight ever which was in 2011 which was at 256 pounds I am now down to 159 pounds.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidmost likely your out of breath and fatigue are not due to your hemoglobin of 14.6you should get testing to check your B12 and iron and ferritin and thyroid hormone levelsyou could have hyperthyroidism or too much thyroid hormone which can cause you to loose weight and also cause poor sleep which can cause fatiguehave you had blood tests to check for thyroid hormone levels?how about iron levels and B!2 levels checked?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I have a different opinion. The shortness of breath with exercise can be due to the exercise induced asthma. So that needs to be checked with pulmonary function test or a methacholine challenge test. Your hemoglobin count is considered good. And you do not have any iron deficiency. Vitamin B12 deficiency will not cause shortness of breath, fatigue. Please discuss with your doctor about pulmonary function test. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidnormal hemoglobin levels do not mean you don't have iron deficiency or B12 deficiency.you can still have iron deficiency and B12 deficiency possibly.B12 deficiency can cause fatigue.thyroid deficiency can cause fatigue and weight loss.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, This is Dr Basu again, It is not possible to have significant iron and b12 deficiency with normal or higher hemoglobin level. Your problem lies elsewhere. This is likely lung or asthma related. You need a lung function test. Now heart problem is another possibility although unlikely since you can exercise vigorously. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/