Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Dr.Brims! My daughter is on a mission trip in Guatemala

Customer Question

Hi Dr.Brims! My daughter is on a mission trip in Guatemala and she is having a hard time swallowing potatoes and rice.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a blood test on her thyroid today and her levels were within the healthy parameters.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information- Is she having pain during swallowing?Is she taking any medications?Does she has nausea?Is she suffering from acid reflux disease?Shortness of breath? Kind Regards,Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Pain
No Medicine
No Nausea
No Acid Reflux
No Shortness of Breath
Just difficulty swallowing rice and potatoes
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.Well, Food from oral cavity goes to stomach through a muscular tube (esophagus). Further forward movement of food is facilitated by peristalsis (rhythmic muscle contraction and relaxation) along with gravity.Possible cause for her symptoms are- Narrowing of the lumen (inflammation, infection, mass within the lumen/ external compression)/ reduced peristalsis/ narrowing at the gastro-esophageal junction/ diverticula (out pouching) at the esophagus.Also some type of food or even an infection in the esophagus (such as a fungal infection), esophageal ulcer may cause such symptoms.She should have more of liquid or semi solid diet , she should not lie down immediately after food/ lose excess weight if any, exercise daily.She should follow above measures, and see doctor and get it clinically evaluated.She should avoid fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, smoking and alcohol. She should take light and small meals. I would recommend that she should visit primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed. Good luck and take care.Please let me know how I can be of further assistance. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is in a foreign country and does not speak the language. She cannot go to her primary doctor for at least 9 more months. She has had these symptoms for almost 2 years off and on and recently it has gotten more frequent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not heavy, she eats gluten free,
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear,I can understand your concern.She should take light, healthy and well balanced diet.She should drink up to eight glasses of water a day.She should remain away from stress and anxiety. Start practicing Yoga and meditation. Deep breathing exercises and relaxation techniques will be helpful. She can take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals. She should take Zantac 150mg twice a day. Both of these are OTC drugs.She should follow above measures.I understand that she is not in her country, but for the time, she can follow measures as suggested and try to get appointment in that country. Good luck and take care.My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.