Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years of experience.
54412793

To Dr. C.: I will then take a whole pill of gaba, 750mg once

Customer Question

To Dr. C.: I will then take a whole pill of gaba, 750mg once a day. is it okay?
And I do take 3mg of melatonin every now and then.
But I have been waking up overnight to go to the bathroom
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
can I help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The question is for Dr C. I am sure you see it. But you always answer questions for other doctors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please opt out

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

The research on gaba supplementation is far from perfect. Medications that impact the gaba receptor tend to need to be dosed 3 times daily. But that may not be true for the gaba supplement. If the bottle states once daily then do it that way. Let me try to find some reliable research on the metabolism of this supplement and get back to you with more thoughts.

The melatonin dose is the high end of the recommended amount so 3 mg is fine. If you've had a run of poor sleep, then yes do take it. Or if you feel keyed up and it's approaching bedtime.

If going to the bathroom is disturbing your sleep further, it's best to try some fluid restriction for 4 hours before bedtime. Avoiding alcohol in the evening also helps since alcohol acts as a diuretic.

Anything I can clarify? I'll have time to check into the gaba physiology in the next few hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cool. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
As I suspected, there is very little reliable data on the ideal dosing regimen for gaba. There are some animal studies on gaba metabolism but even those don't give clear guidelines on the use of gaba as a supplement. The 750 mg daily is the recommended dose when taken once daily but this recommendation doesn't seem to be based on any reliable data. Alternatively 250-500mg 3x daily but that seems to be following the same idea I had about gabapentin, the prescription medication, needing to be dosed 3 x daily to sustain blood levels. Once suggestion is to try it at once daily for a few weeks but then switch to 3x daily dosing if it doesn't feel like there has been any improvement.