Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I was recently switched from lamtus to levdmir. I Don't like

Customer Question

I was recently switched from lamtus to levdmir. I Don't like it. Lost a lot of weight am I was only 135 lbs. Now I look like a walking corpse
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
Levemir is a long acting insulin
but Lantus is even longer acting.
if you like lantus better, talk to your doctor about switching you back to Lantus.
your body might be more use to Lantus.
what medical questions do you have?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
The reason you lost weight likely is that your blood sugars became uncontrolled when you switched. Switching from lantus to levemir is tricky. Can I ask if you are a type 1 or type 2 diabetic and also what dose of lantus you were on and what levemir you now take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 units on both I find it hard to believe that the levemir is not to blame. I'm type 2 dx'd about 20 years ago.I'm now50
Yes, that is a valid point and I think you are right. The key point is that we need to find out WHY the levemir is to blame. Can I ask if you were taking lantus 20 units at night and now you are on levemir 20 units at night? do you take any other meds or insulin? What have your blood sugars been running and how many times per day do you check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 units each h at the same timetime. No other meds thank god. 20 units in the morning and that is the dosage and timeframe for both levemir and lantus
ok and how many times per day have you been checking and what are your sugars running? have you had excessive thirst or urination? Also, to clarify you were a controlled type 2 diabetic on JUST lantus? Why the switch to levemir? insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been uncontrolled on both. Could this be psychological? I'm a diehard lamtus girl. Why are all Dr,'s against Lamtus?
Doctors are not against lantus. I actually prefer lantus to levemir. I see a couple issues here. 1)levemir should ALWAYS be dose twice a day. So if you are switching from lantus to levemir then you would need 10 units twice a day. That is why I don't like levemir. It is twice daily dosing. That being said, it would be highly unusual to be able to control a 20 year diabetic on JUST a long acting insulin. You absolutely need better coverage. I'm guessing you need meal time coverage as well. My favorite regimen is lantus at night or in the morning with apidra for meal time coverage. It is possible to be controlled on either. I prefer lantus but I'm quite sure I could control you with levemir as long as we dosed twice a day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been more Controlled on Lamtus but to be honest when my Insurance told me they would no longer cover Lamtus I became irate a d won't take it. I have want my Lamtus back
I would advise you ask your doctor to perform a prior authorization then. This is where the doctor asks the insurance company to pay for a drug that isn't covered because the recommended drug didn't work. I do these all the time. Your doctor will know what to do. Just ask him/her to do a "PA". Please don't forget a positive rating for me. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that this is psychological and I'm fighting the Levemir?
of course. absolutely
please don't forget a positive rating for me. I receive no credit for my time unless you do