How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ann M. Your Own Question
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 3918
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ann M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When packaged cheese gets the green growth on it, if we cut

Customer Question

When packaged cheese gets the green growth on it, if we cut away the green growth, is the rest of the cheese safe to eat ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. I realize I am not a human doctor, but I can assure you that ingestion of mold works the same in animals as it does in humans, so I can give you an answer.
If you ingest mold from cheese, most of the time, the acids in the stomach will kill the mold spores and you will suffer no ill effects. If your immune system is in a compromised state, however, then the effects of the mold could lead to some intestinal problems that typically aren’t more severe than mild cramping or diarrhea. It is the presence of bacteria along with the mold that causes the most serious problems, and there is no way to be sure that the moldy cheese you’ve eaten aren’t also teeming with bacteria. Having said that, on hard cheeses, if you cut away all the moldy areas and then run the block of cheese under hot water, you can still eat it unless you are immunocompromised. I do it all the time. But I make sure I put the cheese back in a fresh bag. :)
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.