911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

My father has a feeding tube.Do we need a nurse to feed him

My father has a feeding tube.Do we need a nurse to feed him (food and medicine) Or can we do this ourselves?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

Do you know what kind of tube this is? I assume it's a tube into the stomach or the jejunum... the first part of the small intestine.

911DOC :

And how long please has he had this tube in place?

911DOC :

Is he still in the hospital?

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

to respond simply place your cursor in the box below, type your answer, and hit 'enter' or 'reply'

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat so I will answer

911DOC :

you will still have a chance to reply once I do and the conversation can continue if you wish

911DOC :

so if this is a semi-permanent tube that goes into the stomach or jejunum you likely can do this at home

911DOC :

the 'food' that he will get is a liquid formula that is pretty easy to give

911DOC :

certainly it would be nice for his nurse to show you how to do this

911DOC :

but this is very simple once you get the hang of it

911DOC :

but it would be really nice to have someone demonstrate this to you

911DOC :

standing by for your response

Customer:

I think it goes into the stomach.It goes into his nose and comes out somwhere in his stomach. He has had this for a few days.He has congestive heart failure. He is still in the hospital,but they want to release him in a week

911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

they will probably NOT send him home with this type of tube... this is called a nasogastric tube and is not good for long term feeds at home

911DOC :

are they talking about a minor surgery to put in a more permanent tube?

Customer:

I dont know. Is this a temporary tube?

911DOC :

yes... if is going in through his nose this is strictly temporary

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

If he has congestive heart failure would he need a tube at all?

911DOC :

probably not... this is a great question to ask the doctor or nurse in charge of his care

911DOC :

if he is in the hospital for heart failure he shouldn't have any feeding issues

911DOC :

so it is likely he will go home without it

Customer:

Thanks

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

do you have any further questions about your father's case?

Customer:

No, i want to print this conversation and give it to my mother.How can I do that?

911DOC :

sure

911DOC :

but it will not print from the site

911DOC :

so the best way to do this is to cut and paste this into an email or a word document

911DOC :

you can always read the question and my responses under the 'my questions' link above

Customer:

ok

911DOC :

anything else?

Customer:

No

911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback.

Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.
How is your father doing? What was the end result of the feeding tube issue?
Best
911doc