Dr. Shahzad MD
Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCPS.

I had unprotected 2 months ago, i took the morning after

I had unprotected sex 2 months ago, i took the morning after pill and at the time my period was due I had an extremely light, almost non existant period but I am normally quite light anyhow. I went to Thailand for 2 weeks and only returned last week. between the time i departed 3 weeks ago and today I have lost 5kg. I am 174cm tall and weigh only 52kg at the present moment, On top of this I broke up with my partner of 7years only 2 days ago, meaning I am very stressed out. While I was away I was suppost to get my period but it has not come, it is a week late at this stage. I took a home pregnancy test and it came back positive. I will go to the doctors to get this confirmed but in the mean time i want to know for my own mind, is it possible that the weight loss (due to hating thailand food, and hence my stomach shrinking, so eating small meals now), lack of sleep (only getting about 3 hours a night this week due to a busy schedule) and the stress of my breakup. Can this in any way cause a false positive on the test.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 7 months ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Customer:

thank you. I do know you will tell me to see a doctor but in the mean time is it possible given the circumstances or am I dreaming and these things cannot influence the test results

Dr. Shahzad MD :

These cannot influence the results

Dr. Shahzad MD :

However having said that

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The urine tests are inaccurate at times.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The best test to confirm pregnancy is the blood test.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would like that you should have a blood test done.

Customer:

if I were pregnant though, would my body not be putting weight on rather than losing it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Well, weight gain and symptoms of pregnancy start to happen a few weeks later

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Since your diet was poor during this period of time that is the reason of your weight loss.

Customer:

so it is most likely that I am pregnant then. And the sleeplessness, stress and weightloss are completely unrelated to hormones released during pregnancy. I was lead to understand that these things can cause hormonal imbalances in the body

Dr. Shahzad MD :

They can cause hormonal imbalance but not a false positive pregnancy test.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

They cause imbalances in the brain hormones like LH, FSH etc which effect the ovaries but not the beta HCG which is the one that is important for pregnancy test results.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Here is a link which will give you a list of causes of a false positive pregnancy test:

Customer:

can you tell me how... I am a science graduate so the details wont be too difficult for me to understand. When we studied the cheetah using EIA to determine pregnancy, the stressed cheetah exhibited hormones causing one to assume she was pregnant but later was discovered that this is a hormonal imbalance. I would like to know, what causes the release of the HCG in the urine and is it naturally occuring at any time other than during pregnancy. If not then how do test provide false positives.

Customer:

sorry, i checked that link before coming here but it did not give me the information I was looking for.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok I will explain

Dr. Shahzad MD :

That is a good question

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It means you are a good student :)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Actually the beta HCG is released from the chorion

Dr. Shahzad MD :

chorion is only present when there is a fetus developing

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When there is no fetus, there is no chorion, which is a membrane, there is no hormone.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is no other natural way this hormone can come

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The other rare causes are tumors in the body

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But obviously those are rare causes.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Although stress effects other hormones in the body

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Stress can even cause a lady to seem as though she is pregnant called as pseudocyesis

Dr. Shahzad MD :

pseudocyesis is actually the thing that you were trying to describe when you gave the description.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But this will not cause a positive pregnancy test

Dr. Shahzad MD :

pregnancy tests are pretty accurate but sometimes urine tests can give a false result

Customer:

ok. so if a blood test comes back negative i should be getting checked for abnormalities. I was advised by a doctor a few years ago to be checked for abnormalities. I was frequently experiencing pain from deep in my stomach almost during sex.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

which is why in those cases a blood test should be done.

Customer:

but basically il have to get a blood test because im most likely pregnant

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If your blood test is negative then you are not pregnant

Customer:

:/

Customer:

damn it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes exactly

Customer:

ok. thank you for your help

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You have to have a blood test done because you are most likely pregnant

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But you can have another urine test to make sure the previous one was done accurately.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So one more urine test.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If positive check a blood test.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If that is positive you are pregnant.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Good bye :)

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Good bye :)

Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MBBS, MD, FCPS.