Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

At noon, I take a short nap in my office by laying my head

At noon, I take a short nap in my office by laying my head back on my office chair and resting my legs on another chair. Often times, I wake up snoring and out of breath. It only happens in the office. I don't normally snore at night in my bed. Is that normal?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

the position of your sitting in our chair most likely is closing off your airway and having your tongue drop back in your throat causing you to snore and for you to get out of breath. is is sort of a sleep apnea when you just sleep in your chair and not in bed.

some people have sleep apnea sleeping in bed which can be a real problem. it is not such a big deal when you have sleep apnea when you take a quick nap in your chair.

you might want to try to exercise to loose weight. loosing weight around your neck and throat can often help sleep apnea.

you also might want to see a sleep specialist and get a sleep study and find out if you are resting properly at nigth time and getting enough sleep. if you are getting enough sleep at night, you shouldn't need to be napping during the day.

sometimes exercise can also help you sleep deeper and better at night so you don't have to nap during the day

does this make sense?

let me know if you have other questions.