Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

My daughter complains of shooting pain in her stomach, up her

Customer Question

My daughter complains of shooting pain in her stomach, up her sides and sharp pain in her chest while eating. This only happens sometimes and we think it could be an intolerance of some kind but we are unable to link the foods together. Do you have any idea what this could be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Natasha :

have you tried anything like zantac or pepcid?

Dr. Natasha :

Have you kept a food diary/

Dr. Natasha :

Has she had an ultrasound for gallstones?

Dr. Natasha :

are you there

Customer:

We have not tried the Zantac of Pepcid. We haven't kept the diary although she remembers very well what she had been eating at the time.

Dr. Natasha :

well, the type of pain you are describing sounds like reflux

Dr. Natasha :

and it can feel sharp or like spasm because of the irritation of the esophagus causes it to spasm

Customer:

That is exactly what I thought as well. I have reflux and take Nexium. Maybe we should try this.

Dr. Natasha :

tums and rolaid are, honestly, junk

Dr. Natasha :

yeah, give that a go

Dr. Natasha :

and have her keep a food diary

Dr. Natasha :

you would be surprised at what can trigger it

Customer:

I will try that and keep a food diary as well. Thank you.

Dr. Natasha :

sometimes tomatoes, peppermint, chocolate etc

Dr. Natasha :

and make sure she doesn't eat less than 3 hours prior to bed :-)

Dr. Natasha :

i will check in with you in 2 weeks to see how she is

Dr. Natasha :

post here earlier if you want

Customer:

She said that it has happened while eating salt and vinegar chips, hamburger, spaghetti

Dr. Natasha :

yeah- those are triggers!

Dr. Natasha :

food diary :-)

Dr. Natasha :

and over the counter zantac, pepcid for a few weeks

Customer:

Sounds about right. Thanks for your help Dr.

Dr. Natasha :

that will cool off her little tummy ;-)

Dr. Natasha :

no prob

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service :-)?

Customer:

Yes indeed you did. Thanks and good evening

Dr. Natasha :

cheers :-)

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Hey how is Your daughter feeling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My daughter has been taking Nexium for the past 15 days as you suggested and the other night we had spaghetti and the sharp pain started again. Maybe it hasn't been long enough that she has been on the medication. What I don't understand is that the pain starts within just a few minutes after eating. Is this normal for reflux?

Spaghetti is not the right food for now. The sauce is too acidic. She should have bland diet for the next 2 months