khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

I am 25 yr old male. Hit my head really hard playing pick up

I am 25 yr old male. Hit my head really hard playing pick up football with friends one week ago (ran full speed into someone, both our heads collided). Got up after it with a little swelling, but went away within an hour.
Felt a little dizzy later that day and the day after. After about two days i tried going to the gym to work out(weight lifting) and started getting dizzy again and started getting headaches the rest of the week.
It has now been a full week since i initially hit my head, and it still hurts/ i still am getting dizzy? Taking Tylenol really helps. Was curious if there was something more serious or do I just need to rest and let recover some more?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 7 months ago.

khagihara :

You seem to have post-concussion syndrome.

khagihara :

It lasts for weeks and sometimes months.

khagihara :

It is a mild traumatic brain injury. But it usually goes away within 3 months. Rarely It continues for a year or more.

khagihara :

If you have confusion or memory loss, you should see your doctor.

khagihara :

You should avoid workout lifting heavy weight for a while.

khagihara :

Any questions?

Customer:

I greatly appreciate the feed back. Is it safe/ok for me to drink alcohol? or should i stay away?

Customer:

about how long should i avoid weight lifting for?

khagihara :

Alcohol can dilate blood vessels in the brain, which could cause headaches. You should stay away for a while.

khagihara :

You may lift light weight not to increase pressure in the brain.

Customer:

should i continue to take tylenol if the headache is particularly bad on certain days?

khagihara :

Only when you have headaches, you should take it. If you take it regularly, it also causes headaches.

khagihara :

Any questions?

Customer:

thank you for your help. it has been very informative. i greatly appreciate it.

khagihara :

You are welcome. Take care.

khagihara, Doctor
Experience: Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.