madonia2
madonia2, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I am board certified in both internal medicine and pediatrics with over 7 years experience in large, academic medical centers.
75928696

I just recently had ess, septoplasty done and its been 12 days

I just recently had ess, septoplasty done and its been 12 days since the surgery. Late last night i developed a dripping nose. Every time i hunch over it would take about two minutes till something comes out of my right nostril and drips then a minute later a clear drip comes again. Looked online and seen that this may be csf leak. Could this be it? I feel as if I dont have a stiff neck, have chills, sneezing, and temperature is 97.7.

madonia2 :

Yes - although rare, a CSF leak is a possible complication after an endoscopic sinus surgery.

madonia2 :

It is common to have some runny nose after surgery, but 12 days out is too long for you to ignore it

madonia2 :

I would place a call to the on call surgeon. They can do a simple test on the fluid to determine if it is CSF or not

Customer:

Could this go away on its own? Could this possibly be leftover from irrigation use? I realized its not 12, but 10. Ive had family tell me this is normal. I had my surgery on the 6th.

madonia2 :

It could be from the irrigation and may resolve on its own. As you do not have fever or neck stiffness, I do not think you need to do anything urgently, but I would call the surgeon tomorrow if it is not better

Customer:

The simple test you mentioned, could this be done at my ent's office or primary care doctor office and would the results be given back in a reasonable manner? I read that it could take up to a week or two to hear back.

Customer:

Also what is the name of the test mentioned above?

madonia2 :

no, the test is very simple and should be able to be done in the office and you get the results very quickly...

madonia2 :

you can see the pattern of the fluid on a piece of filter paper (double ring sign) or just test the fluid from glucose and protein...

madonia2 :

if these values are consistent with CSF, then you have an answer...

madonia2 :

The test that may take longer to know is the Beta 2 transferrin, but even this test should be back within 1 day

Customer:

could i possibly use gauze from left over surgery and drip onto it to see the double ring? or is there other material I could use?

madonia2 :

no...you would need to have the special filter paper

madonia2 :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

Customer:

So you feel this isnt an urgent matter? My ent said for me to see him monday if it persists. Only thing is the ER on the weekends and a trip there can cost an arm and a leg

madonia2 :

I think Monday would be fine as long as you don't have fever or stiff neck. But if this is still doing bad tomorrow...then I would call the surgeon...perhaps he will see you in his office and save you an ER visit

Customer:

Just to inform you, I did call him this morning expressing my concern. Thats when he said for me to come in monday if it persisted but i just wanted to get a 2nd opinion from a medical professional when family that had this surgery told me it is normal.

madonia2 :

I think his recommendations are good