Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

In the last 2 years, I have had tests done on me sporadically

In the last 2 years, I have had tests done on me sporadically on my heart, brain, and stuff. (Tests like chest X-ray, EKGs, CT-Scans, an ultrasound of my heart, an MRI of my brain, a few API doppler tests and ultrasound of my legs, blood work, and such) The most recent CT-Scan on my brain was on August 29, 2013, and the most recent chest X-ray, EKGs, and blood work on my heart was yesterday. Everything is still good. Now, with that said, can stress do harm to me? I have anxiety, and this morning, my father had a heart attack, and there are a lot of uncertainties regarding his condition. When I was first notified of the news, it took one hour for me to calm down enough just to be able to drive to the hospital. I had felt numb, dizzy, rapid heart beat, weak, and shaky. There have been 2 other occasions where I have felt this way again throughout the day. Given my condition, should I worry about this kind of stress on my health? What should I do now? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
Sorry to hear about your father's health.
I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you have breathing discomfort?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I suffer from anxiety. I have hypertension, hypothyroidism, and vertigo as well. My breathing is O.K. However, I sometimes have to take a lot of deep breaths when I feel the way I described above. I take 320/12.5 mg of Diovan HCT once a day for the hypertension. I take 125 MCG of Synthroid once a day, and 25 mg of Meclizine on an as needed basis. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jaime, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.

It sounds to be related with Panic attacks.
Good to hear, that all tests are normal. Yes, stress and anxiety issue has caused such condition.

The symptoms associated with panic attack are-
trembling and shaking; nervousness; pounding heartbeat; dizziness; chest pains; disturbance in sleep. You have experienced most of such symptoms.

The line of treatment is- medications, and specific forms of psychotherapy.
Talk or behavior therapy, is considered an effective first choice treatment for panic attacks and panic disorder.
You would need Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil) and sertraline (Zoloft).

I agree, with your doctor that he has increased dosage Xanax pills dosage to 2 pills, it would be more helpful.
Yes, at time of panic attack, it may take more time to be free from symptoms.
You can wait for 2-3 days, and if condition doesn't start to improve, then Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which are generally safe with a low risk of serious side effects, should be prescribed.

You should avoid caffeine, alcohol. You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.
Once you start on with medications, and follow lifestyle changes, you would get away from such issues.

Please have a follow up with your doctor.
Good luck and take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But can a very high level of stress cause something like a heart attack, stroke, or something else that is serious? Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jaime,
I can understand your concern.

Stress, is factor which can further lead to many issues.
Stress itself might be a risk factor.
Stress itself is a risk factor for heart disease like heart attack,
As chronic stress causes body to become unhealthy, raises levels of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol.

As such, having very high levels of stress for long time, can lead to risk for developing issues like heart disease.
You may need medications, and specific forms of psychotherapy.

You should follow stress management techniques and try to remain away from stress.
Please check this link-

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-management/MY00435/DSECTION=stress-relief

I hope this helps.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician