khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Im 25 years old, been having anxiety because of sharp chest

I'm 25 years old, been having anxiety because of sharp chest pains that come and go for the past month, had two EKG's which came out normal. Today while I was helping a customer I started to get anxious because another customer started yelling at my co-worker, and I thought I felt a very sharp, dull pain in my heart but by the time I walked off to go tell my manager it was gone. I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me, but I'm scared because I see all of these posts that women experience different heart attack symptoms and one is sharp pain. I see a cardiologist next week but I just need to put my mind at ease, if I had heart issues would something come up on the EKG?? My vitals are normal by the way. Another thing, I'm scared to exercise because I think I'm going to have a heart attack
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

khagihara :

People think heart attacks cause sharp pain.

khagihara :

But actually it is dull pain.

khagihara :

Also from your age and the EKG, it is unlikely you have a heart problem.

khagihara :

According to your description, most likely the chest pain is due to anxiety.

khagihara :

You should take SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) for the anxiety.

khagihara :

Any questions?

Customer: Thank you. Does anxiety also cause a tightening feeling that can come and go? And a knot feeling in between my upper ribs right below my chest?
khagihara :

It causes the tightening feeling.

Customer: I tried to exercise yesterday and got a knot feeling in between my ribs
khagihara :

What is the knot feeling? Can you explain it ?

Customer: It feels like a tight hard ball just forms in between where my ribs connect
Customer: I'm sure it might just be caused by my anxiety this was just the first time I felt it with exercise
khagihara :

Did you have shortness of breath?

Customer: When I feel that knot yes
khagihara :

You should have a cardicac ultrasound and a stress test (EKG when you walk on the treadmill).

khagihara :

Do any family members have a heart problem when they are young?

Customer: No... My uncle has a heart murmur and he's all all of those tests and they are normal
Customer: I've had that knot feeling during anxiety as we'll
khagihara :

Did your doctor listen to your heart?

Customer: Yes she said it was normal, no skipped beats, all of my vitals are normal
khagihara :

Most likely your symptoms are due to anxiety.

khagihara :

You don't need to worry about it very much.

Customer: Thanks
khagihara :

You are welcome.

khagihara :

Are you satisfied with my answer?

khagihara :

Any questions?

Customer: No questions, thanks!
khagihara :

You are welcome. Take care.

khagihara, Doctor
Experience: Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.