How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10477
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend in china:Im Deanna Gao, from Qingdao, China. 38

This answer was rated:

My friend in china:
I'm Deanna Gao, from Qingdao, China. 38 years old. I feel I'm facing the problem of Hyperacusis.
One month after delivery of my second son I caught a problem in my ear. Firstly feeling wind-blowing noise in left ear (that happened on Sept 1st, 60 days ago from today) then, in recent 2 weeks, two ears feel beating noise from the brain (low but powerful sound like thunder) and both ears are too sensitive to noise (afraid to hear woman/baby's voice, or engine noise or other loud noise. Very normal noise makes my ear painful, everyday at the end of the day I feel ear/head so tired). Medical checks shows my hearing ability declined to some extent but they can't find a problem in my brain/blood tubes/ear system. I checked from internet and I feel I have caught the HYPERACUSIS. I am so hopeless these days and think that situation will become worse and worse until one day I lost my hearing ability... Very stressed.I can’t live without hearing my son calling me “mom”... I checked in all famous Chinese hospitals in Beijing and Qingdao but can't find a solution.
Can you give me some help? I heard it can be cured by a special designed CD named pink noise CD, listening for 6 months then ears less sensitive. I have ordered the CD from Amercicas which will arrive at me about this weekend. However, I am not sure if I can use it by myself. Maybe I need a specialist to help. Can you help? I feel my situation is getting worse day after day so hope to get treatment without any further delay. If you can help, please advise how you can and how I should pay you. If you feel necessary, I can prepare visa and flight to meet you in Singapore to get a complet check and treatment. Visa application may take one extra week... FYI, I use to travel a lot to Singapore for business so I hope to meet you face to face if necessary. However, at the moment, I need some urgent guidance on how I should do now.
Mr. Chan, I look forward to hearing from you either by phone or by email as soon as possible. If you are not able to call me back, please let me know when it's convenient for me to call you again. (called moment ago but you're busy)
Many thanks in adavnce!!!!! By the way, can you speak Chinese? I feel hard to explain my situation by professional medical words.
Best regards,
Deanna Gao
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do your friend have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi dr. rick:

well, she went to a psychologist who prescribed something to relax her, as you can imagine she is stressed out.


other than that, no medication.



Thank you for that extra information.

It sounds like your friend has already been evaluated by medical experts (Professors at teaching hospitals?) all across her area.

From what you have posted, it sounds like all physical/structural issues that could be causing her problem have been well investigated and ruled out, including evaluation by an ENT and audiologist.

It does sound like she is suffering from hyperacusis.

Unfortunately, there is no good treatment for this rare condition. At this time the only thing that has been shown to be of any value in reducing the symptoms of this condition is counseling and "acoustic therapy"

Acoustic therapy involves teaching the patient to tolerate the hyperacusis better, reduce their sensitivity to sounds and learn to filter out intrusive noise.

It sounds like the CD she ordered from the USA might help, but I would counsel her to get professional assistance through counseling and acoustic therapy.

Unfortunately, modern medicine does not have much else to offer.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick:

The issue is complicated because of her desperation, and the uneven quality of medical treatment in China (some excellent, some not).


Her major concern is the quality of pink noise CDs and audio files. There is some buzz on the internet about the varying quality of pink noise CDs, and how Pink noise treatment can actually do more harm than good.



It is true that pink noise can make certain hyperacusic and phonophobic patients considerably worse. This can occur when patients use poorly made pink noise -- which can be found all over the Internet -- or when they use pink noise incorrectly. However, to quote again from the above, "the use of wide band noise applied to the ear by wearable sound generators can help in the treatment of abnormal hypersensitivity of hearing. This is particularly true in hyperacusis ..."


You are correct. If the pink noise is too loud it could cause more harm. Also, there is no clinical evidence that this is the best treatment.

She would be best advised to seek the help of a person certified in acoustic therapy and counseling for hyperacusis rather then trying to treat this one her own with a "pink noise" CD she purchased over the internet.

I am sure that, if she asks an ENT doctor, they can refer her to qualified and experienced people to help her.

Here is a very good article on hyperacusis that you and your friend might find helpful:

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish your friend the very best.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10477
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Dr. Rick, MD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I feel so much better today, and upon further investigation believe that there is a chance that the responses I got saved me from a serious, even life threatening situation. I am very grateful to the experts who answered me. Susan O. USA
< Previous | Next >
  • I feel so much better today, and upon further investigation believe that there is a chance that the responses I got saved me from a serious, even life threatening situation. I am very grateful to the experts who answered me. Susan O. USA
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ

Meet The Experts:

  • Dr. Thomas, MD

    Dr. Thomas, MD

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
< Last | Next >
  • Dr. Thomas, MD's Avatar

    Dr. Thomas, MD

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
  • Family Physician's Avatar

    Family Physician


    Satisfied Customers:

    Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
  • Dr. Ketch's Avatar

    Dr. Ketch

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University
  • Dr Basu's Avatar

    Dr Basu

    Experienced Specialist

    Satisfied Customers:

  • Dr. David's Avatar

    Dr. David

    Board Certified Physician

    Satisfied Customers:

    Treat children/young adults, former chief resident, multiple publications
  • Dr. D. Love's Avatar

    Dr. D. Love


    Satisfied Customers:

    Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
  • Dr. B.'s Avatar

    Dr. B.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Physician with 8 years of experience.