Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

If I have bad diahrea and I drank Pepto would that cause my

If I have bad diahrea and I drank Pepto would that cause my fecal matter to turn black? I just spent a month in the Dominician Republic and after one day home I started having problems. But it was black until I drank the Pepto??
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Yes, Pepto bismol does cause the fecal matter to become black and this is one of its notorious side effects.
If you have more queries, reply back.
If you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating for the assist.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey, Thanks a lot. I thought that was it and you just settled my mind. I should probably call my doctor to see if I got a "bug" or something from the DR. I'm in Canada now for the next 6 days and cannot get to my doctor.Should I try more Pepto or doesn't it work?

Thank you.
The best thing to do is to drink plenty of fluids especially Gatorade and Pedialyte or the likes - oral rehydration solutions to replenish lsot electrolyte stores.
Go on a low fiber diet to give your gut some rest - Bananas, rice, applesauce, bread, tea, refined cereal, milk etc.
The key is rehydration.
I usually don't advise my patients to take any anti diarrheal, since the condition is self limiting and will settle with or without medication. Diarrhea is a protective mechanism of the gut to empty itself from the offending pathogen as quickly as possible.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
More queries, reply back.
Best.