Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hello there. Im worried about my brother - hes just gone

Hello there. I'm worried about my brother - he's just gone through a stage of using drugs - not certain exactly what or how extensively/for what period but know that cocaine was involved & he's also a heavy drinker.

What worries me is that he is saying that he's been instructed to drink every day to manage the withdrawal symptoms from the more serious drugs - while I can see that there is potentially some "step down" logic in this, it seems a very uncontrolled way of managing this and I would have imagined there would be a more structured way of supporting him at this time.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? This could be exactly what he's been told to do, but if it isn't and he's using it as cover to borrow money from my folks to continue being addicted to alcohol I think I should take some action.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

There is no medical logic here. Alcohol is not a substitute or step down for the withdrawal symptoms of drugs such as cocaine.
This is indeed a cover up story to continue drinking alcohol and will get worse.
He needs to see a physician and a rehabilitation doctor/specialist.
You being a family member can help him or you can let your parents know, if he is dependant on them for his daily needs and money.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this.

Pleasure to be of any help.
Please do leave a positive rating if you are satisfied.
Best.