Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I recently had a sono to recheck a cyst they said was harmless,

I recently had a sono to recheck a cyst they said was harmless, on the tail of my pancreas. The doctor is now referring me to a surgeon to see if they want to biopsy it, remove it or just watch it. I feel like I have been just handed a death sentence. I am so scared and is there any thing that you can say that might make me feel better about this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Was the cyst seen on PET CT scan?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

they called it a "lesion"

Dr. D.J. :

what was the opinion?

Dr. D.J. :

any increased uptake?

Customer:

the pet scan was done five years ago. the opinion then was a follow up in 1 yr

Customer:

the gi dr who origionally saw it said that it did not look cancerous

Customer:

I cant remember if it said uptake; I remember it said hypodense

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Dr. D.J. :

now what is the size now?

Customer:

they did not give me the details this time. it was over the phone. I think it was 2 or 7mm the first time

Dr. D.J. :

ok very small.

Dr. D.J. :

As per current studies, the risk of cancer is very low for cysts less than 3 cm.

Dr. D.J. :

I am talking about less than 1%

Dr. D.J. :

any family history of pancreatic cancer?

Customer:

well, my grandmother's brother who was in his 70's/80's after having diabetes. And my grandmother did die from something wrong with her pancreas/liver . they had to keep putting a stent in the place between liver and pancreas but it kept blocking

Dr. D.J. :

ok chronic pancreatitis.

Dr. D.J. :

that is different.

Dr. D.J. :

But still, it does not significantly increase your risk.

Dr. D.J. :

without any symptoms and no suspicious finding, this is considered a low risk finding.

Customer:

I have had, for years mid back pain /burning after eating; doctor thinks its just thought it was heartburn. I have problems with digestion, nothing goes through me real fast. and have had mid abdominal pain off and on for years that comes and goes. could it be the cyst leaking?

Dr. D.J. :

very unlikely.

Customer:

would it be wise just to remove it or would that cause other problems?

Dr. D.J. :

In fact pancreatic problem unlikely since they did not see any problem with the pancreatic duct.

Customer:

so I should calm down and relax and see what the surgeon suggests, right?

Dr. D.J. :

definitely.

Dr. D.J. :

no reason to worry

Customer:

okay, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX better. I know pancreatic cancer has not really a cure so I am just terrified of it.

Customer:

one more question, are cysts there common?

Dr. D.J. :

cysts are often seen incidentally in about 2% population.

Customer:

I used to and sometimes binge drink, could this have caused it

Dr. D.J. :

not likely

Customer:

okay; thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD