Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a biopsy on my right which was benign however

I had a biopsy on my right breast which was benign however a post op complication resulted in a almost golf ball sized hematoma. I was told by the surgeon who did biopsy to put hot compresses on it,which I did and once a week continue to do, but 2 months later and it is still there. The surgeon has been suspended from the hospital and not honoring my appointments to see him about this and the only other remaining surgeon is so busy I can't get in to see him either(I live in the U.S. virgin Islands). Do I need to seek immediate attention for this, can it cause other problems, will it interfere with my follow up mammogram in 3 months?

Dear Cheri. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
I understand your concern and I am sorry to hear that this happened, indeed complications are never intended but are always possible in any procedure and they are a source of deep concern not only for the patient but the Surgeon as well. A good surgeon is not one who knows how to operate but one who can deal with all the complications associated with the procedures s/he performs. At the same time, it is good news that the biopsy turned out to be benign.

If the swelling is subsiding then you should give it a couple of weeks to go away completely. If it is static at the same size then that means the hematoma has organized (become solid or walled) and it will need to be evacuated surgically. Surgical evacuation is a day care procedure, it can be done under local anesthesia as well as general anesthesia, subject to preference of the patient and the surgeon.
It is unlikely to cause any further problems at this point in time, however, it will be a constant source of discomfort as long as it is there.
If it becomes tender, the overlying skin becomes red, hot and irritated then immediate attention is required (risk of infection), however, if none of that happens you do not need to worry.
I suggest that you start massaging the area gently with vaseline or any moisturizer or lubricant which you want. Massage should be done in circular movements, 15 minutes at a stretch and every 2 to 3 hours.

It will show up in your mammogram but concerning lesions can usually be identified separately in mammograms by expert radiologists.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.