Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a 67 year old male and I have been diagnosed with

I am a 67 year old male and I have been diagnosed with chronic constipation and am presently prescribed a drug lactulose to be used 2 tablespoons twice a day. I also have lymphoma sine May. Should this dosage be increased over time since i take it daily per doctor's instructions. Do I run the risk of having a colostomy bag in the future if the constipation persists. I used Fleet enemas too frequently when I could not have a bowel movement.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Where is the lymphoma?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

lymphoma per my doctor says it is in the spleen and the blood platelets stay low.

Thanks for the details, Richard.

Constipation should be treated both symptomatically and definitively.
For symptoms relief, here is what you should be doing:
A high fiber diet - prunes, dried fruits and nuts and green leafy vegetables should be on your diet.
Metamucil 2 tablespoons thrice a day admixed in food or milk or water.
Lactulose should be taken 30 ml twice a day.
You should also drink plenty of water, about 3 liters per day to keep the stool soft
Along with that you should go to your health care provider and ask for a digital rectal examination to see if there is any retained fecal matter in the rectum that is blocking it and causing further problems.
This impacted fecal matter can be manually evacuated or the colon can be cleansed with a colonoscopy but it should be removed otherwise, it progresses and blocks the rectum completely, this is the most common benign cause of chronic constipation.
You should also have your electrolytes checked, potassium deficiency can set the colon in a paralytic state and this promotes stasis of feces in the colon causing dried stools that stick to the walls and cause constipation.
Use of excessive enemas can cause potassium deficiency and can also cause build of fecal matter in the rectum.
Eating bananas and using oral rehydration solutions can prevent electrolyte deficiencies.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do not want the colon removed if at all possible along with the rectum. I may not live that many more years.

Thanks for the ratings and the reply, Richard.
They are not going to remove your colon just because you have constipation. The type of lymphoma you have does not necessitate the removal of the colon.
Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor