Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

I need help!! I suffer from Persistant Genital Arousal Syndrome.

Customer Question

I need help!! I suffer from Persistant Genital Arousal Syndrome. It was first called Persistent Sexual Arousal Syndrome until a doctor found that it has nothing to do with sex. I am a 57 year old female and for my adult life I have to masturbate and reach climax several times a day. If I don't, then I am anxious, depressed, angry and can't concentrate on anything else. It is a feeling that comes over me whenever it wants to and is controlling my life!! I finally opened up to 3 different doctors about my problems, which they had never heard of and basically laughed about it like I was some kind of freak. I did my own investigating online and was glad to find that I wasn't a freak and that my condition had a name, but there were no known treatments to stop this horrible condition!! Do you know of ANY doctor in the US that could help me, or have you heard of any treatments that actually work??? If you do,PLEASE tell me so that I can live the rest of my life without this condition??? I am currently being treated for Major Depressive disorder, OCD, severe anxiety,fibromyalgia oseteoarthritis everywhere, bone spurs. I am afraid to even leave the house..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

please type and hit reply

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Customer:

Are you there?

Dr. Natasha :

I am here

Customer:

Do you have an answer for me????

Dr. Natasha :

where do you live

Dr. Natasha :

this is also called Restless Genital Syndrome

Customer:

Pennsylvania, why?

Dr. Natasha :

I am trying to see if I can find a therapist near you who may be able to work with you

Dr. Natasha :

There is also the concept of using nerve blocks, pudendal block can help- because it numbs the groin

Customer:

I am seeing a therapist, and she has never heard of it. Neither has my psychiatrist or gynecologist. I need more than therapy for this. I need to know if anything medically can be done to relieve my symptoms. I read a bit about the nerve blocks. Would by Primary physician be able to do this?

Dr. Natasha :

No, that would require a pain management physician

Dr. Natasha :

Barry Komisaruk is the one who wrote about it in the Journal of Sexual Medicine

Dr. Natasha :

http://www.livescience.com/36419-constant-sexual-arousal-disorder-women.html

Dr. Natasha :

It is a little tricky to treat

Customer:

I have been seeing a pain management doctor for 5 years now. I see her on November 25th. If she can't do it, what will I do? What is a nerve block? Would the shot be given directly on my genitals?

Dr. Natasha :

let me find a link for you

Dr. Natasha :

they woudl be able to help you

Dr. Natasha :

This is also part of pudendal neuralgia

Customer:

You mean to chat with another doctor?

Dr. Natasha :

Which is persistent pain in the clitoris

Dr. Natasha :

http://www.glowm.com/section_view/heading/Pudendal%20Neuralgia/item/691

Dr. Natasha :

No, I am going to help you so you can talk to your pain management doctor

Dr. Natasha :

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/83078-overview

Dr. Natasha :

Another person who can help you with your gynecolgist

Dr. Natasha :

they can also do this block

Customer:

My gynecologist told me how lucky I was and to bring out the sex toys and have fun. I tried to explain to him that it was NOT FUN, but he just laughed.

Dr. Natasha :

You need another gynecologist

Dr. Natasha :

preferable a girl.

Dr. Natasha :

what a jerk

Dr. Natasha :

Ask him if he would like priapism

Dr. Natasha :

it is amazing to me how some people still practice medicine

Dr. Natasha :

this is a seriously distressing condition

Customer:

You got that right!! Is priapism like constant hardons?? It is amazing to me too. I am sick of being my own doctor and paying someone else!! It is definitely a seriously distressing condition. I read an article about a woman that told her story to a news network, then proceeded to kill herself.

Dr. Natasha :

yes, priapism is like constant hardons and it causes a lot of distress

Dr. Natasha :

men would not dig that

Dr. Natasha :

anyway, fire that guy

Dr. Natasha :

get a new gynecologist and bring her the articles I showed you

Dr. Natasha :

she can help you out

Dr. Natasha :

gynecologists do this block a lot

Dr. Natasha :

it is not a tricky one

Customer:

I wish I had magical powers. I would then put a priapism curse on him!!!! I will get another gynecologist, I will call my pain doctor and call for a new gynecologist and ask up front if they have ever heard of the disease or performed the nerve blocks. I can't take this anymore!!

Dr. Natasha :

If they haven't heard of it, mention pudendal neuralgia, but sometimes you need to educate physicians

Dr. Natasha :

it is okay

Dr. Natasha :

our knowledge is different from medical school - it gets larger and larger

Customer:

I will definitely mention pudendal neuralgia, I have no problems asking questions. I took care of my father and took him to all of his medical appts. for over 2 years. He lost his left leg to diabetes. I was his advocate. Sadly I lost him 2 years ago. But now I need to be my own advocate.

Dr. Natasha :

I am sorry for you loss.

Dr. Natasha :

Your loss

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that I was able to give you some hope and direction from this chat :-)

Customer:

I'm sorry too. I miss him everyday. One more question... if I do get a nerve block, how long will it relieve me of my symptoms? Would I have to have it done several times?

Dr. Natasha :

you may need to get it done on a regular basis for a while

Customer:

How often?

Dr. Natasha :

it depends on what they use

Dr. Natasha :

but they help for days initially but it helps kind of reset the nerves

Dr. Natasha :

so people get relief for weeks

Dr. Natasha :

and with therapy and other treatments, this can be enough to turn the tide

Customer:

You mean what medicine they use?

Dr. Natasha :

yes, the type of anesthesia

Dr. Natasha :

they also may use a steroid to make it last longer

Dr. Natasha :

did I provide you with excellent service? :-)?

Dr. Natasha :

hello?

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
hi
It appears that our chat did not close properly.
Did you need clarification or did I provide you with excellent service? :-)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Something went wrong with my computer during our chat yesterday. It wouldn't let me type anything. That is why I didn't respond to your last remarks. I am going to call my pain doctor Monday for help. Your answers gave me hope. I sure hope I can find a doctor FAST to help me!!

no worries keep me posted
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. I will keep you posted.

great
hi
I found another resource for you:

http://www.instituteforwomeninpain.com/contact

He specifically addresses PGAD

http://www.instituteforwomeninpain.com/dr.-echenberg-answers-questions-on-pgad