Dr. Shahzad MD
Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCPS.
28323552

I have a sudden cramp just below my rib cage, then I feel like

I have a sudden cramp just below my rib cage, then I feel like I want to vomit but I don't. I get watery mouth and my ears get hot. It lasts about 30 seconds and comes on randomly but mostly after I eat.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Shahzad MD :

since how long are you having this?

Customer:

Of and on for the past maybe 2 and half months

Dr. Shahzad MD :

have you had any tests for this as yet?

Customer:

No. It's so random and each episode only lasts about 30 seconds

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok

Dr. Shahzad MD :

how are your periods?

Customer:

I don't have them. I take the pill continuously.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

so you are in menopause?

Customer:

I don't think so.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

ok because such kind of crampings are more common in ladies who are at the age of menopause or around the age of menopause which you are at the moment.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus I would also like that with your symptoms you should take some spasmolytic medications that relax the muscles of the gut

Dr. Shahzad MD :

These spasmolytic medications will help you with the cramps that you are having.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus I would also like that you should be on something like OTC prilosec 40 mg once daily

Customer:

What kind of medications?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This will help reduce acid secretion

Customer:

I don't feel like I have acid secretion. I just get A LOT of saliva in my mouth immediately after the sharp cramp. The cramp is not in my uterus. It's up higher, right at my breast bone.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I understand

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its most likely cramping in your stomach

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been to any doctor for this?

Customer:

Above my stomach, at my diaphram. Not been to the doctor.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that medications like Isopto Hyoscine and mebeverine which are spasmolytic will help you

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Along with that I would also prescribe prilosec just to make sure that the acid secretion is also suppressed

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also like to have your routine blood tests done to make sure that your electrolytes are normal

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also like that you should have your thyroid tested as well to make sure that is normal

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that the best doctor to consult for this problem would be a gastroenterologist

Customer:

Are you saying that the excess saliva is acid secretions? My ears also get very hot during each episode. The episodes only last 30-45 seconds

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It may be excess acid secretion in the stomach which may in turn be causing the excess saliva

Dr. Shahzad MD :

when there is excess saliva secretion there is also likely to be more acid secretion as well because both are secreted by glands

Customer:

Oh! Understand... Are there OTC's for Isopto Hyoscine and mebeverine?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The prilosec is OTC

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rest are prescription

Dr. Shahzad MD :

what you can do is try prilosec for a week

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and see if that helps

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If not then I would like that you should visit a gastroenterologist

Customer:

What do you think causes this? Surely not menapause! What's the deal with the ears?!?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The ears get red because of sympathetic stimulation because of the severe cramping pains that you have

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its a reaction to pain in other words

Customer:

Makes sense. What, in your opinion, causes these episodes?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The cause of the crampings is usually not known, could be diet related or due to increased acidity or due to some inflammation or ulcer in the stomach.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Your pain happening immediately after eating suggests to me that there is some inflammation in the stomach or an ulcer that is causing this

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This can be helped with the prilosec that I mentioned

Dr. Shahzad MD :

at a dose of 40 mg once daily

Customer:

My friend suggested H Pyloria? Sounds bad, so I contact you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

H. pylori is something very common indeed

Dr. Shahzad MD :

more than half the population has this in their stomach

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and its treatable and is the cause of stomach ulcers and inflammation in the stomach

Dr. Shahzad MD :

but I think that first you should have prilosec and see if that helps for a week or two

Customer:

I don't like the sound of that!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

H. pylori does not sound good I agree but its not as bad as you think

Customer:

You understand that this doesn't happen everytime after I eat but only randomly. Do ulcers flare up like that? H. pylori?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes it can be an ulcer or inflammation

Dr. Shahzad MD :

May be related to what you eat which is why it happens randomnly

Dr. Shahzad MD :

randomly*

Customer:

I'm vegan. Now that I think about it, I've only been totally plant-based for three months. These symptoms started right after. How does that happen? I'm eating healthier and lost a good amount of weight!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

May be a bit of electrolyte imbalance could be causing this

Dr. Shahzad MD :

may be a change in the diet

Customer:

Will the prilosec help balance?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I think prilosec should help

Customer:

okay. What dose again? And it's not a prescription, right?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

its OTC 40 mg once daily

Dr. Shahzad MD :

if you cannot get a 40 mg strength take two 20 mg on

Dr. Shahzad MD :

two 20 mg capsules*

Customer:

Morning? Evening? before or after meals? I know I can read the instructions on the box but it helps to "hear" it from you. Thanks!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

anytime usually in the morning or before going to bed. But timing does not matter. Just take it the same time everyday

Customer:

Well...I'll give it a shot. It's a very inconvenient "illness".

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand its very inconvenient, my wife has the same problem actually. I did her endoscopy and it was inflammation in the stomach that was causing this

Customer:

Will it go away eventually?

Customer:

Is it repairable?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes it will heal up

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just try the OTC prilosec and hopefully things will be better

Dr. Shahzad MD :

if you respond to prilosec take it for at least 8 weeks

Customer:

If it persists, you think I should see a...what kind of doc?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If this persists then you should see a gastroenterologist

Customer:

Will do. Thanks for your time. I feel a little better. :)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Good bye :)

Customer:

Yes. Bye!

Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MBBS, MD, FCPS.