Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Ive been feeling like Im coming down with a cold for over

I've been feeling like I'm coming down with a cold for over a week now. Yesterday morning I woke up with 1 swollen lymph node under my jaw on the left hand side. You can't see it's swollen by looking at it, but I can feel it. It's soft, not rock hard, and it doesn't seem very movable, but just soft.

I haven't had any fevers or night sweats, but I'm still concerned about lymphoma. I haven't had an appetite for a month, and I've been fatigued more than usual, but I've also been more depressed then usual. Is it normal for only 1 lymph node to enlarge under jaw? Is this lymphoma?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome back to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

do you have any other swollen nodes?

Customer:

No

Dr. Natasha :

Well, lymphoma is usually associated with firm nodes, not soft ones

Dr. Natasha :

the nodes feel like they are matted to the area

Dr. Natasha :

As well, you may feel more of them

Dr. Natasha :

Other things that people have are the constitutional signs like:

Dr. Natasha :

night sweats, weight loss, low grade fevers

Customer:

this one feels soft, and I can move the skin over it, but I'm not sure I can actually move the node itself

Dr. Natasha :

As well, you were just sick, which will give you swollen nodes

Customer:

I've had weight loss - about 10 lbs in 7 weeks because i haven't had an appetite, and haven't been eating.

Dr. Natasha :

Well, the recommendation is to watch the node for about 2 week

Customer:

No, I just feel like I've been coming down with something. Body aches, fatigue, stuffy head feeling. I haven't actually had a stuffy nose or anything like that

Dr. Natasha :

You may have lost weight because you are not feeling well.

Dr. Natasha :

Right, a viral illness are you describe can give you swollen nodes

Customer:

Just 1?

Dr. Natasha :

FYI less than 1% of swollen nodes will have cancer in them

Dr. Natasha :

That is possible to have one or more swollen nodes

Customer:

That's good news! I didn't know that stat

Dr. Natasha :

The issue is that you are not feeling well, which is going to be 99% the reason why you have a swollen node- a viral infection

Dr. Natasha :

So, watch if for 2 weeks, wait until you feel a little better.

Dr. Natasha :

if it is still large and worrisome, see your doctor for a check

Dr. Natasha :

does that sound good? :-)?

Customer:

Is there anything I can do to make it go down?

Dr. Natasha :

Just hydration and taking care of yourself when you are sick

Dr. Natasha :

eating well so you can help your body fight off infection

Customer:

And can you ease my mind a little bit more? I'm 26 years old, 133lbs, healthy minus hypothyroidism, no family history of ANY type of cancer - what are my chances this would be cancer? Or lymphoma?

Dr. Natasha :

The chance that this would be cancer is less than 1% :-)

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Can these symptoms present in lymphoma? Not feeling well, fatigue, no appetite, and 1 swollen lymph node

Dr. Natasha :

Yes, they can be, but 99% of the time it is a virus

Customer:

ok, thank you.

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Hi
I was just checking in on you to see how you are doing :-)