Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Hello, I have a question regarding a thyroid issue. the values

Hello, I have a question regarding a thyroid issue. the values on this second set of of blood tests is as follows:
T3UP is 42.70 ref range 32.00-48.40
T4 is 16.10 ref range 6.00-12.00
Thyroglobulin AB is 1.4 ref range 0.0-4.0
Thyrpglobulin is 2.7 ref range 1.2-130.8
Thyroid Peroxidase AB is 19.8 ref range is 0.0-9.0

he didnt test for the tsh as it always came back normal. i would like to know your thoughts. also I never had any issues with my thyroid, is it also possible to get too much iodine from multivitamin if Im eating a healthy diet. I am a 46 year old female with no health issues. thank you.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you.

If the TSH is normal while the T4 is elevated to 16, there is a good chance that this is normal, but the usual approach to these values would be to check a free T4 and a free T3 along with a TSH, to be able to fully assess the function of the thyroid.

If the thyroid function is normal, then the presence of thyroid peroxidase antibodies is a risk for developing overt thyroid disease in the future, so would warrant regular monitoring. If the thyroid function is abnormal, the this would indicate that the underlying problem is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

thank you. what about the level of thyroid peroxidase, does that influence anything?

I addressed that above. It is not thyroid peroxidase, it is thyroid peroxidase antibodies (AB = antibodies).

Again, if the thyroid function is normal, then the presence of thyroid peroxidase antibodies is a risk for developing overt thyroid disease in the future, so would warrant regular monitoring. If the thyroid function is abnormal, the this would indicate that the underlying problem is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok, based on the numbers above, what do you suggest

I would first check a free T4 and free T3 along with a TSH, which will identify whether the elevated total T4 is an aberration because there is more T4 attached to protein. If these three values are normal, then there is no thyroid dysfunction. If any of the values are abnormal, then the specific numbers would need to be reviewed to determine what thyroid dysfunction is present.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

thank you very much for clarifying, I appreciate it.

You're welcome.I hope that everything goes well.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating.