Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My 64 yr old friends colon exploded and bile leaked into her

My 64 yr old friend's colon exploded and bile leaked into her system due to colon cancer no one knew she had. The doctors removed her colon but the leakage is threatening her life. Her son called to tell me this. Is this possible? Is this situation grave.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

This is indeed a grave situation.

Dr. D.J. :

Bile itself is corrosive causing extensive inflammation in the peritoneal cavity.

Dr. D.J. :

Besides that intestinal rupture also causes spreading infection from the intestinal bacteria.

Dr. D.J. :

There is also lot of bleeding involved causing significant blood loss.

Dr. D.J. :

Combination of these factors make your friend's life critical.

Dr. D.J. :

The mortality is high in this case up to 20-30%.

Dr. D.J. :

But many patients also make it with proper care in intensive care unit.

Dr. D.J. :

A multidisciplinary approach with excellent nursing care will be life saving for your friend.

Dr. D.J. :

It may take at least a week to see how well she is going to recover from this catastrophic event.

Dr. D.J. :

My best wishes with her,

Customer: I thank you sir. My only hope is that she is so mean and ornery and won't want to leave her precious family that she will fight to live
Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : This is indeed a grave situation.
Dr. D.J. : Bile itself is corrosive causing extensive inflammation in the peritoneal cavity.
Dr. D.J. : Besides that intestinal rupture also causes spreading infection from the intestinal bacteria.
Dr. D.J. : There is also lot of bleeding involved causing significant blood loss.
Dr. D.J. : Combination of these factors make your friend's life critical.
Dr. D.J. : The mortality is high in this case up to 20-30%.
Dr. D.J. : But many patients also make it with proper care in intensive care unit.
Dr. D.J. : A multidisciplinary approach with excellent nursing care will be life saving for your friend.
Dr. D.J. : It may take at least a week to see how well she is going to recover from this catastrophic event.
Dr. D.J. : My best wishes with her
Very welcome.
Best wishes