Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Why is it that when I am at home my bp is good 130s 80s and

Why is it that when I am at home my bp is good 130's 80's and then went to dr. today and felt very anxious about appt. Blood pressure was 176/100 and taken not even one minute later it was 150/100. I am on labetalol 200 mg. per day and am breastfeeding. Is my blood pressure truly controlled if it gets this high at the dr.'s office? Should I be taking more meds even though my readings at home are okay? Will this up and down of bp cause problems to my heart and organs?

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

This is known as whitecoat hypertension.

Dr. D.J. :

This is a falsely high BP --some people experience anxiety at doctor's office causing high BP.

Dr. D.J. :

As long as your home BP monitor is properly tested and you have normal Bp at home with daily measurements, you are safe.

Dr. D.J. :

So, you should check that your home Bp monitor is showing correct readings.

Dr. D.J. :

There is no need to increase the medication, if your home BP remains normal all the time.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : This is known as whitecoat hypertension.
Dr. D.J. : This is a falsely high BP --some people experience anxiety at doctor's office causing high BP.
Dr. D.J. : As long as your home BP monitor is properly tested and you have normal Bp at home with daily measurements, you are safe.
Dr. D.J. : So, you should check that your home Bp monitor is showing correct readings.
Dr. D.J. : There is no need to increase the medication, if your home BP remains normal all the time.
Dr. D.J. : Best wishes,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think that when the nurses go oh wow! that their response makes it go through the roof. Is there anything I can do to lesson this fear that I have and overwhelming anxiety that I feel going into the doctor? Also, what if blood pressure gets into the 90's on the bottom? Is that causing injury to me? How long does it take for injury to occur from high blood pressure?

The lower number should remain below 90 at home also.
For this type of problem, anti anxiety medication may be helpful like lorazepam 30 minutes before office visit.
But this is not required as long as your home BP monitoring is accurate.
It may take several months more than 6 months usually to see any damage from mild to moderately elevated blood pressure.

Best wishes,