Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Since around September 15th I got a sore throat and I noticed

Since around September 15th I got a sore throat and I noticed that there was a small lump on the right side of my neck below my ear. It didn't hurt. I had my mom exam it (she is a pediatrician) but she is very carefree when it comes to my health. I think because I am her daughter she always assumes nothing is wrong. At that point the lump was painless and she said it was a small swollen lymph node due to my sore throat. Well yesterday, I just felt to see if it was still there and it is. I touched and squeezed it several times. It is moveable, and still the same size. Now that I am feeling it again, it feels a little painful. I dont know if its from me touching it so much. I am scared that I may have lymphoma or some kind of cancer. Or HIV. I had an HIV test earlier this year that came out negative. I had unprotected sex again with the same person, I am not sure if he slept with anyone else within that span of when I got tested and when we slept together again. But my two biggest fears are cancer or HIV. Should I go get examined or trust my mom? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. D.J. :

Your mom is a doctor and every mom is protective of her child.

Customer:

I agree!

Dr. D.J. :

Now coming to your symptom, one single lymph node is not concerning.

Dr. D.J. :

This is expected with any viral infection like cold virus.

Dr. D.J. :

HIV related lymphadenopathy is often generalized multiple and bigger.

Dr. D.J. :

They are often firm and non movable.

Customer:

But I do not have a cold anymore. Last cold was in September

Dr. D.J. :

And cancer or lymphoma related lymph nodes are also bigger and usually become numerous over time.

Dr. D.J. :

Even though you do not have cold, the lymph node takes some time to become normal.

Dr. D.J. :

The inflammation inside the lymph node does not subside so soon.

Dr. D.J. :

Now, regarding HIV test, you are at a very low risk given the same partner.

Dr. D.J. :

Annual HIV testing is recommended for every adult even without a lymph noe.

Dr. D.J. :

You did one and it was negative.

Dr. D.J. :

There is no necessity, but you can get another one done for your peace of mind.

Dr. D.J. :

But, I will not be concerned at this point.

Customer:

Okay, so should I not be concerned about the lymph node?

Customer:

Should I get blood work?

Dr. D.J. :

no there is no need to be concerned about.

Dr. D.J. :

Blood work is also not necessary.

Dr. D.J. :

You can observe this for another 2 weeks.

Customer:

if it is still the same then what should I do?

Dr. D.J. :

then it is still not concerning.

Dr. D.J. :

But you can get this checked with your doctor and get the blood tests for blood count with differential.

Customer:

Alright, thank you

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD