Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My throat is not allowing me to swallow my saliva It closes

My throat is not allowing me to swallow my saliva
It closes to fluids
I have had this problem before and my doctor had given me nitroglycerin like for people that have heart aches. He told me it would relax the area in my chest.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 months ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I am an ENT specialist and can help you on this. How long have you had this problem? any tests done for this?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P. Jyoti :

How long have you had this problem? any tests done for this?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Customer: I have not had this to this degree for many years.
Dr. P. Jyoti :

does this closing to liquids happen all the time or only on some occassions?

Customer: on some occasions and used to be when I lay down. It feels like I have a chunk in my throat. I get chest pains and I have to go to the restroom and spit up fluid and bubbles
Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you had any tests for this? endoscopy?

Customer: many many years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there are a number of things that this could be

Dr. P. Jyoti :

most likely is acid reflux

Dr. P. Jyoti :

acid reflux can cause exactly these symptoms

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Several other conditions could cause such problems like Esophageal motility problem, globus hystericus, tumors, etc.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You need to get yourself checked up for this.

Customer: what can I do to relax my throat and allow me sleep tonight
Dr. P. Jyoti :

You should approach an ENT or gastroenterologist.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You will need investigations like a Endoscopy, Barium swallow XRay and a videofluroscopic swallow study.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If your problem is only due to an esophageal motility disorder, you need a referral to a speech pathologist, these are the experts who deal with swallowing problems. A speech pathologist will be able to help you with this problem.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is the final solution

Customer: nothing I can do tonight
Dr. P. Jyoti :

for your immediate problem, you should take Cap. Prilosec 20 mg at night

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if this is available

Dr. P. Jyoti :

will help to control acid reflux

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also take a glass of cool milk which helps in this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take the nitroglycerine

Dr. P. Jyoti :

an anti anxiety drug like alprazolam or diazepam is most helpful for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if you have been prescribed this earlier, then use this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also take Mylanta susp two tsf now if available, or any other antacid solution

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do you have any of these available now?

Customer: i know I need to go to the doctor I was hoping for help tonight
Customer: i can go to thr
Customer: I can get things from the drug store what is the best to use
Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

then you need to get Prilosec 20 mg and Mylanta susp

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these will help with acid reflux

Dr. P. Jyoti :

another thing to take is Night Time sleep aid or any other OTC sleep aid

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will help you to sleep well at night and not get disturbed

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but of course you need to get this checked up by your doctor in the long term as i advised

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hope this helps

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.