Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.
65718478

My 11 year old daughter has been unable to all afternoon

My 11 year old daughter has been unable to urinate all afternoon and evening and has a full bladder. What can we do, or do we need to go get medical treatment?

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Hi there. she needs medical treatment. There are many reasons for urinary retention but you cannot wait much longer. 8 hours of a full bladder can be quite dangerous.

Dr. K. :

Before going to the hospital, you might try seeing if she can urinate in a warm bath. This sometimes works. If not, she needs to see a Dr tonight.

Customer:

We will try the bath. If not, I will take her to the hospital.

Dr. K. :

Common causes in children are constipation and urinary tract infection. If she has a bladder infection, she may be holding the urine in to avoid pain.

Customer:

She says she is not in pain, just uncomfortable with the full bladder.

Dr. K. :

Its not usually anything serious. If the bath does not work, you are right in taking her in. Good luck tonight.

Customer:

Thank you. We'll do our best.

Dr. K. :

Come back any time you need more help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The bath worked perfectly. No need to go to to the ER. Thank you for your excellent advice.
I am so glad that it worked for you. I have 4 children myself and have actually had this same problem as a mom as well. Strange thing but it does work. I am very glad it helped. Dr K.