Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am 87 and have had anemia for about l0 years which has worsened

I am 87 and have had anemia for about l0 years which has worsened with time. My blood transfusions go from 3 weeks to 6 weeks when the level gets into the sevens. I have had a stroke, a number of TIA's, aortic valve replacement with a pig valve, neuropathy due to large prednisone amounts which gave me diabetes until doses were lowered, but left me with severe neuropathy, and many more ailments.

My two doctors want to give me bone marrow biopsy, and/or Procrit. I am afraid of more strokes, or worse and have refused. At my age, I would like to just get iron infusions and blood transfusions rather than take chances. What do you think?

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I do understand your concerns regarding bone marrow transplantation and Procrit.

Both can increase the risk of stroke and thrombosis at your age.

On the other hand, iron transfusion and occasional blood transfusion may be relatively safer except for the small risk of infection.

But the risk of infection does not significantly increase with repeated transfusions.

Hence, this should be borne in mind as well.

So, I think your decision to continue with current treatment plan should be fine.

Best wishes,