Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I recently recovered from a hemmroid by using a suppository

I recently recovered from a hemmroid by using a suppository but my stool shape is not normal. My stools are now smaller round shaped balls rather than one continuous large stool. What has happened?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

what type of suppository did you use? a steroid suppository?

small arounder stools are often seen when you don't have enough bulk or fiber in your diet. you can help your stools bulk up more by adding more fiber into your diet. you can do this buy eating more cooked fruits and vegetables. or by adding a fiber supplement to your diet like metamucil or fibercon or something else.

I would try adding extra fiber into your diet and I bet your stools will bulkup and be larger and more formed.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I used Preparation H suppository without hydrocortisone but also used Preparation H cream with hydrocortisone. However, the suppository, not the cream, cured the hemmroid. At least I think the hemmroid is cured as I do not feel the swelling inside my rectum. Occassionally, I have some minor pain when having a bowel movement. I am eating raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts now as I always have but I do seem a bit constipated. I will try your fiber supplement suggestion. Is there anything you can add based on this information?

be careful with nuts. make sure you chew them very very well. sometimes eating cooked vegetables can help make them easier for you to digest. you can still do this and add on a fiber supplement. also adding on yogurt and probiotics 2-3 times a day also can help your digestion as well. so that can also help

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website

Thanks for using
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When should I notice a difference? How long should I use the fiber supplement for? Could I have a medical issue?

you should notice improvement usually within 1-2 weeks after starting adding fiber supplements and adding probiotics and yogurt into your diet.

at age 55, you should have gotten a colonoscopy for screening purposes. if you haven't had a colonoscopy, you should get one.

but I doubt you have a medical issue affecting your stool issue.

have you had a colonoscopy before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a colonoscopy in 2005. Dr. said it was fine and to schedule another in 10 years.

Is it a good idea to continue this additional fiber after things are back to normal?

yes, extra fiber is a good thing in your diet. you should continue it.

your bowels like fiber. and fiber helps prevent future colon problems.

it is about 8 years since your last colonosocpy. since you hare having bowel changes now, it might be a good idea to go back to see your GI doctor sooner