Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I need to chat with a gastroenterologist

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

I have talked to you before.

are you still having problems with your gall stones?

have you started medications to help dissolve the stones like ursodiol?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no meds 4 gall stones. I am to have gallbladder surgery in morn , how ever I have been given 2 different answers of whether I have stones or not . Surgeon said my primary doc said I had stones . I remember him saying the cat scan showed no stones . I am inclined to wait until I can talk with primary doc first. I saw surgeon Thursday. My doc will not be available until after the surgery. It is 7.45 in morn. I had a bad virus with temp last wk I took some Imodium got way gassey .Talked with to surgeon the day after the temp an the day I was with gas very painful. This morn still tender to the touch but not in pain drank coke, now have interjestion I don't do well with antistesia plus I son' t want to lose an organ unnecessary. Help?

sounds like you are nervous about having this gall bladder surgery.

CT scan is not a good way to look for gall stones.

gall badder ultrasound is the best way to look for gall stones. if the ultrasound showed gall stones, then you have gall stones.

are you still having right upper quadrant pain? sometimes this gall bladder pain can flare up and calm down

you should try to call your priimary care doctor today or tomorrow morning. some primary care doctors have oncall services where you can reach a doctor on weekends through their call service in an emergency.

I am glad you talked to the surgeon last Thursday. you will talk to the surgeon and surgery team prior to surgery on monday as well. they should examine your abdomen prior to surgery.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

how can I tell if this is an ulcer? Had one before

to check for an ulcer, the best way is with an upper endoscopy scope down into the scope with a camera to see if there is a stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer.

have you had an upper endoscopy scope procedure recently?

sometimes duodenal ulcers can also cause right upper quadrant pain.

sometimes surgeons can also perform endoscopy procedures before surgery . you can ask the surgeon to see if they would be willing to perform an upper endosopy scope into your stomach to check for ulcers first before taking out your gall bladder.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I canceled surgery 4 this morn. I have the results for the ct -abdomen with and with out intravenous contrast . FULL RESULT--noncontrastec images performed . there are bilateral breast ;IMPLANTS. the lower lungs r clear. no pleural effusions. no inflammation about the gall bladder . no gallbladder abnormality is seen . no renal stones no hydronephrosis .. post images performed . No abnormally to the gallbladder. The gall bladder wall is not thicken. No adjacencertn inflamation No focal haptic lesion . the spleen is not inlarged .N ormal pancrese and adrenal glands .Normal enhancemet of the kidneys The left renal goes behind the acna . this is normal vancant. no acrtic aneurysm. the bowel icops are not dilated.------IMPRESSION I donot centify an abnormal to the gallbladder. 2. no renal stones nor hydronephros . nobowel obstruction. 4, there are at least moderant degenterate changes to the lumba so the lumba some with several vacuum ciscs changes

I see.

well, CT scan does not see gall stones well. a gall bladder ultrasound is better to do that.

if you continue to get right upper quadrant pain, you might benefit from an upper endoscopy scope procedure into your stomach to check for duodenal ulcers

and you might benefit from a HIDA scan to chck the ejection fraction of your gall bladder to see if it is working properly.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

what is moderate degenerative changes to the lumbar some with several vacuum ciscs?

degenerative changes is wear and tear arthritis wear down of bone and joints of the spine. the lumbar spine is the lower back. vaccume disks are the cushion disks in between the bones which are flatter than normal.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

what is gallbladder sludge? can I get rid if it? and cholelithiasis

cholelithiasis are gall stones or stones in your gall bladder.

gall bladder sludge is thick bile in the gall baldder.

bile is suppose to be in the gall bladder. but sometimes this gets too thick.

both sludge and gall stones can cause inflammation and blockage of the gall bladder and cause pain in the upper right abdomen.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

how would treat arthritis, If were your spine? I have been told I have spinal spongilitus on L 4 and L 5 . Not even at the number 1 yet some one wants me to join a trial as to where they insert something in the area to keep the bones separated.( When) I do therapy on a regular basis my back improves. I understand this will set worse with age. I have been having the stomach problems, so I have let this go. When the barometric temp go down I feel very tired. I have mild sleep apnea, but to my on decrement, I can not use the mask.

I am sorry you are having spinal spondylitis.

this can be a difficult condition to treat.

NSAID drugs such as ibuprofen can sometimes help decrease inflammation and pain
but some of these medications can upset the stomach

antirheumatic drugs such as cyclosporin, methotrexate, sulfasalazine, and corticosteroids, are used to reduce the immune system response through immunosuppression and can help spine pain.

tumor necrosis factor-alpha blockers such as etanercept, infliximab, golimumab and adalimumab, have shown good short-term effectiveness at decreasing pain but they are expensive medications.

it would be test to see a rheumatologist about these options.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I sometimes take loratab 7.5 for pain but not all the time be cause of addiction of the drug. Is it as effective as the drugs u mention 4 pain?

lortab is an effective drug for pain. and it blocks pain sensation in the brain

and is one option for therapy.

but there are other options for treatment as well as I mentioned.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I some times go to a chiropractor 4 adjustments and therapy. He said yester day I had torn ligaments between L4&5 causing the slippage between 4and 5. can u repair torn ligaments?

torn ligaments can be difficult to repair in the spine.

you might hvae to do a spine surgery or fusion of the bones so they don't continue to slip

this is called a lumbar spinal fusion.

you should get an MRI scan of your lumbar spine if you haven't recently.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician