Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I lost my best friend to suicide about 6 months ago. My wife

I lost my best friend to suicide about 6 months ago. My wife has Alzheimer's and just recently was placed in a secure facility. I am in the process of moving to an apartment closer to her, and have a lot of stuff to get rid of and things to do before the move. I started having insomnia about the time of her diagnosis and it has gotten progressively worse. I am also having hot flushes, panic attacks and dizziness. In the last couple of days I have become very unsteady on my feet, losing my balance if I move too quickly. Of course I have severe insomnia, some nights
getting no sleep. I am 85 years old and have had almost every test known to man, and my doctor says that physically I am fine, and that I am suffering from serious anxiety and stress. Have you ever heard of anxiety causing dizziness as severe as mine? If not, what do you suggest might be wrong? A physiotherapist conducted some tests on me that she says show that I don't have an inner ear problem.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

My only other medical problem is sleep apnea, for which I use a CPAP machine, and some minor arthritic problems. I am taking Prevacid, Coversyl, Flomax and Zoloft in the morning, with some tryptophan 3 hours before bedtime, plus Tylenol arthritis. Also the Atavan for panic attacks, and one 0.5 mg before bed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Waiting for final diagnosis

Arthur,

With all that you have been through recently, yes, it is very possible for your physical symptoms of dizziness to be secondary to your severe anxiety.

That being said, I would suggest that you obtain another opinion from a team of doctors at a large university teaching hospital.

Why a teaching hospital? Because at at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on. If, indeed, it is a I think, due to your anxiety these experts will be well equipped to help you feel better fast.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC