Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 67 YO male, I have been unable to since approximately

I am a 67 YO male, I have been unable to urinate since approximately 2am this morning, however every ten minutes or so I desperately need to urinate, but always unsucessfully and this causes a quite severe pain in my penis.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you most likely have enlarged prostate causing urinary retention

you need to go to the ER right away to be evaluated. there they can placed a foley catheter in you and drain your bladder and see how large your prostate is.

then you will need to see a urologist to discuss options to shrink your prostate with medications or to perform a surgery like TURP or transurethral resection of prostate tissue to enlarge the urethra path through the prostate so you can urinate.

the prostate can get enlarged in older men very frequently and often it can cause blockage of the urine coming out.

do you have an ER close to you where you can get a foley catheter to drain your bladder right away?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is a "Foley" Catheter are these available a a Chemist over the counter?

Should I continue to drink water or will this only inflame the situation?

a foley catheter is a plastic tube a nurse or doctor can place into your penis up through your prostate which is most likely blocking your urine flow to help drain the urine out of your bladder.

don't drink any more water and go to the ER for evaluation so they can drain your bladder and make you feel more comfortable.
let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr.

It appears that my previous email to you did not go through.

My final question is, as I have never suffered this severe problem before, what inflames the problem, is it diet, alcohol or something else?

prostate inflammation can come from prostate infection or sexual activity, or just getting older or sitting on a tractor seat or motorcycle seat for a long time can also inflame the prostate and cause it to swell and block the flow of urine properly.

you need to go to the ER asap and get your urine drained out and then see a urologist about your enlarged prostate

best of luck to you

here is my website

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com