Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was delivering a freezer and it slid over my foot pulling

I was delivering a freezer and it slid over my foot pulling my right big toenail all the way back to the cuticle. it hurts quite a bit and i don't currently have health insurance. Should i Pull it off all the way or bandage it and hope it heals? if i should pull it off how would i do so safely?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you should not pull off the toe nail

you should go to a free or low cost health clinic close to you. I can help you find a free or low cost health clinic if you give me your zip code

you should have a health care professional assess the toe and nail and wound and make sure it is healing well. you also need an xray of the toe to look for bone fracture.

you should also take some time off of your feet if you can to allow the injury to heal.

would you like me to help you find a free or lost cost health clinic close to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not possess health coverage and do not have the funds to afford a procedure from low cost health clinics and know for certain there are no free medical clinics in my vicinity. time off work would worsen my financial condition. no parts of this answer help me in any way.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I can't see your nail and toe and wound.

so there is no way I can say if you can pull off the rest of your nail safely or not.

without the nail on the nail bed, the nail bed will continue to be quite sensitive and most likely you will need to continue to bandage teh area until a new nail grows in which could take several months since toe nails tend to grow slower than finger nails.

you should use neosporin cream on the nail bed and wrap in telfa non adherant dressing and wear clean socks all the time. the foot is an easy place to contact bacteria infections if you don't keep your feet clean and shoes clean. without the nail covering the nail bed, you are more at risks for getting an infection there.

you can buy these dressing supplies at the local drug store.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.