Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

My ex-husband is giving our daughter Glucerna shakes as a snack

My ex-husband is giving our daughter Glucerna shakes as a snack for school. It says clearly on the label that this is for people with diabetes and for people who are lactose intolerant. My daughter is neither.

The label also clearly states that this should only be used under medical supervision. It says nothing about age. Chloe is 11.

Should he be giving this to her or not?
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. Yes i agree with you. Your daughter doesn't need Glucerna. There is no indication for her to use it. Although using it is not harmful for her. If your husband still wants to give her something similar, he should go for Ensure. These supplements are designed for people with illnesses and healthy young girl of 11 years just need normal food. However as far as Glucerna is concerned, it is only for diabetics or people with impaired glucose intolerance. But let me reassure you again that using it so far has not caused her any harm but it should not be used by her in future because there is no advantage for her to use it. I wish your daughter all the best for a healthy life. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.