Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Diagnosed with gallstones and kidney stones - Ive had no problems

Diagnosed with gallstones and kidney stones - I've had no problems for 4 months - but last few days I'm very sensitive to the skin around lower right abdomen and back area moving to to right groin - is this just a "moment" or something that needs medical attention?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

what do you mean you are very sensitive tot he skin in your right lower abdomen and back area.

does the skin hurt? do you have a rash coming on there? itchy? painful?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

No, no rash, it almost feels like the cold you get when you have the flu. It's hard to explain. Clothes rubbing against the skin make it feel a little raw. It's not unbearable - just uncomfortable.

As noted before - I had minor gallstones and a small kidney stone diagnosed about 4 months ago as wells a mild hernia!

the mild hernia could be causing the skin sensitivity there. men can get inguinal hernias in this location.

sometimes you can get increased sensitivity in an area before you get a shingles breakout rash which would be much more painful blistering of the skin. this may not happen.

gall stones would not cause pain there. however, a small kidney stone might cause referred pain there which means that the irritation is in the kidney or urethra, but the brain thinks the pain is coming from the skin there. I bet this is probably what is going on. you can get an ultrasound of the kidneys. you might be in the process of trying to pass a small kidney stone. I am glad you are drinking plenty of fluids. hopefully once you pass this small stone, your symptoms will get better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

Is there a certain period of time that I should bear in mind for passing a kidney stone?

For example - if I feel the same over the next 3 days.

Considering - the discomfort started mildly on Tuesday - peaking and spreading today (3 days later).

Also - anything I can do to speed the "passing process" along?!

Thank you...

kidney stones can vary in how long they take to pass. sometimes they can take a few days, sometime it can be a few weeks.

keep drinking plenty of fluids to help flush it down. the more you pee, the more likely you are pushing that stone down.

I hope this helps

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's Saturday now - And I have a small rash around the front and back of the abdomen area.

I think it's turning out to be shingles - which you did say was a possibility.

I thought you'd appreciate the information.

Thanks.

if the rash turns out to be painful, then it can be shingles

you should then see a doctor about antiviral medications which can help shorten the length of the shingles infection.

lidocain cream and patches can also help decrease the pain.

these are all prescription medications.