Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

I need to know if I should take the shingles shot. I have

I need to know if I should take the shingles shot. I have never had chicken pox that I remember. no one in a family remebers. I have just been diagnosed with Lupus. Do I still need the shot I am 64 year young. Please help my doctor is really on me to take the shot She was unable to give me the side effects of this shot if you have not have the chicken pox.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

Yes, you should absolutely have the shot

Dr. Natasha :

the problem when getting chicken pox when you get older is that you can get very ill

Dr. Natasha :

particularly is you have other medical issues

Dr. Natasha :

are you on steroids for your lupus?

Dr. Natasha :

Zoster vaccine is used for prevention of shingles in individuals 60 years of age or older, regardless of previous history of chicken pox or shingles.

Dr. Natasha :

The side effects may be the appearance of tiny chicken pox vesicles near the site

Dr. Natasha :

but these are short lived

Dr. Natasha :

Did you get that?

Customer:

I take the generic for Plaquenil , Hydroxychlor 200 mg twice daily my mouth

Dr. Natasha :

OKay, those are no immunosuppressants- so you are good to go :-)

Dr. Natasha :

Happy halloween!

Dr. Natasha :

Did I provide you with excellent service? :-)?

Customer:

One more question with this Lupus my hair is coming out and thinning severely. My doctor has not addressed this problems what would you suggest..

Dr. Natasha :

Have you tried topical rogaine?

Customer:

No. I am African American and rogaine is a what product that is not favorable for my hair. and just to clarify. I SHOULD take the shingles shot?....

Dr. Natasha :

Yes, you should take the shingles shot

Dr. Natasha :

yes

Dr. Natasha :

you can go to a dermatologist about your hair- they can evaluate it and see the texture and make better recommendations than I can since I cannot see you :-)

Customer:

Ok Dr. Natasha, Thank you that really helps me. If only you could make a better suggestion about the thinning and falling out hair. I am taking vitamins with A and biotin.

Dr. Natasha :

Check this out
http://lupusny.org/about-lupus/newsletters/winter-2010/what-do-about-lupus-hair-loss

Dr. Natasha :

But I would see a dermatologist too- one who is familiar with AA hair

Dr. Natasha :

Did I provide you with excellent service? :-)

Customer:

Yes. I am very please. Have a happy Halloween to you, stay safe and don't eat too much candy LOL.

Dr. Natasha :

LOL you too

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Hi I was just checking to see how you are doing...