Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have been aware of a feeling that something is stuck in my

I have been aware of a feeling that something is stuck in my throat for around two months. Sometimes I have trouble swallowing meat. I have had reflux and acid stomach in the past and I do suffer from anxiety. My doctor is sending me for an endoscopy and now I am terrified I may have cancer of the throat or osoephegus. Is it possible my symptoms could be caused by reflux or stress. I am paralyzed with fear now thinking the worst
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 11 months ago.
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for requesting me to your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The symptoms you have described is most probably because of a condition called as globus sensation.That is persistent or intermittent sensation of feeling of lump or foreign body or something else stuck in throat.

Its most common causes are:gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD),abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter,stress,psychological or psychiatric disorders.

You need following tests:

-Upper endoscopy
-Barium swallow test

GERD(acid reflux) is the most probable cause of this globus sensation.GERD is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.

Your doctor is right that you need upper endoscopy for the confirmation of diagnosis as GERD(acid reflux).

These symptoms are not of cancer of any type.So please do not think in that direction.These symptoms are not of cancer & there is no need to worry.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that I advice you to go for the upper endoscopy test & hence after confirmation treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Hi Denise

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you undergone endoscopy?
Was GERD(acid reflux) confirmed as diagnosis?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not had the endoscopy yet but can't help really worrying as feel as though I have a pain going through from my throat to my back. Just hoping it is psychological.
Thank you for your follow up reply.

Okay,as you still have not your endoscopy done,I advice you to get an appointment to have it so that exact underlying cause can be confirmed.

GERD seems to be the most probable cause & stress/anxiety can be the next possibility.

Again,these symptoms are not of cancer of any type.There is nothing to worry.

Till then take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.Both these are available as over the counter without a prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

was called by the hospital yesterday to give me an appointment on Friday. Seems doctor wanted me to have it asap. This is making me more worried as after looking on the internet my symptoms do appear to be those of cancer of the oesopheagus as I do have pain in my upper back when swallowing and feeling sick. i am so worried now

Hi Denise
Thank you for replying back.

I can understand your anxiety & worry.

Symptoms of throat cancer may include

-Trouble breathing or speaking
-Changes in your voice, such as hoarseness
-Frequent headaches
-Pain or ringing in the ears
-Weight loss
-Trouble swallowing

Symptoms of esophaeal cancer may include:

-Pain in the chest or back
-Weight loss
-Indigestion or heartburn
-Food gets stuck in the esophagus, and food may come back up
-A hoarse voice or cough that doesn't go away within 2 weeks

Although you have pain in upper back during swallowing & feeling sick,but still I doubt this can be of cancer of any of the above-throat or esophagus.None of your symptom is "specific" for cancer of any type.

Also you had history of reflux disease in past.So most probable cause of your symptoms seems to be GERD & stress/anxiety can be the next possibility.

As you are already scheduled for upper endoscopy on friday,lets hope for the best & please feel relax & stress free.

All the best

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor