Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

What does ", PBR" mean after a doctors name?

What does ", PBR" mean after a doctors name? This is printed on my prescription and I'm wondering what it means.

The previous Rx I got from this doc had ", MD"

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Dr. D.J. :

This is likely the abbreviation of the word ' Prescriber'. This is not a degree.

Customer :

oh ok

I believe the Rx was ordered by the doctor's PA as I never saw the Dr himself. That may be why it says PBR and not MD?

Dr. D.J. :

Yes --that is allowed.

Customer :

On an unrelated note, do you have experience with neurologically-based breathing issues, Because about a month ago I was experiencing heavy difficulty breathing and constantly felt like i was having trouble getting a deep breath. And I was put on a variety of things including Xanax, Prednisone, Etc. The albuterol inhaler i had didn't produce any effect but made things a tad worse.

So i saw this specialist after my physician ordered a CXR which came back normal. And the specialist (his PA) basically did a bunch of tests and said i didn't really have wheezing or asthma.

But put me on advair 100/50 and dexilant. I was better for a few weeks and now I've noticed the issues slowly coming back and I'm wondering if these are neurological/psychological, i.e. always feeling the need to take a deep breath

Dr. D.J. :

Did you have pulmonary function test?

Customer :

yes, 2 of them. The first was months ago and my doc put me on QVAR and the albuterol, then specialist did one. The first one was poor but second one was fine

Dr. D.J. :
Then this is likely psychological.
Neurological problem will worsen gradually and symptoms worsen over time.
Customer :

What type of doc would you recommend i see regarding that type of an issue because the specialist im seeing now is a top allergist but probably cannot help with this cross between psychology and pulmonology

Dr. D.J. :

I will suggest a pulmonologist first.

Customer :

ok it is not bad really now, but i have noticed it slightly over the past few days, and i'm frankly pissed that this has come back because it is really quite disruptive

Dr. D.J. :

Yes understandable. But that does suggest likely relation with the psychological cause.

Customer :

Correct, have you ever dealt with a case similar to this?.

Dr. D.J. :

Yes I did. This improves usually over time if lungs are clear.

Do you exercise daily?
Customer :

not recently because of the asthma (supposed) and because i have been very busy but i want to and have a personal training appt for next week

Dr. D.J. :

That is important to improve your respiratory muscle strength. Respiratory physical therapy is a good option

Customer :

Do you say that because you believe there to be an anatomical abnormality or because it helps psychologically

Dr. D.J. :

It helps psychologically, keeps you distracted, also makes the muscles stronger.

Customer :

True. Ok well i very much appreciate your help

Honestly!

Dr. D.J. :

You're welcome and best wishes

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD