Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a Rapid Metabolizer...have LAMA-2 MD/LG. Was on Duragesic....no

I am a Rapid Metabolizer...have LAMA-2 MD/LG. Was on Duragesic....no problems. Had my life back. Now all Docs in this bucolic town will only use blocks. What do I do?
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

As far as writing a Rx, or helping you to obtain your medication with an online consultation, I am afraid I have some bad news.

It is illegal to prescribe any medication online. Giving an Rx requires that a doctor/patient relationship be formed with a face to face meeting and the need for medication -- be it an antibiotic, viagra or strong pain pills -- be documented in the medial record.

If I was to call in an Rx for you I would lose my medical license and, quite possibly, go to jail.

The best thing you can do is try to get your regular doctor to understand your needs and give you the medicine you require. Another option, of course, would be to go to ER. However, I can understand how difficult this would be for you given your current situation.
The only way to accomplishing this goal that I know of is to use a telemedicine service. By using this type of service, you will get a phone call from a doctor who has a license in the state in which you legally reside. There are certain medications that cannot be prescribed via telemedicine. The most obvious are narcotics and psychotropics. The best site that I know of to provide the possibility of obtaining prescriptions without a doctors visit is :

http://www.consultadr.com/
http://www.edrugstore.md/

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/
http://buydrug247.com/

Since all the doctors in town are only willing to use blocks, perhaps one other option you might consider is getting a second opinion at a Teaching Hospital.

Why a Teaching Hospital? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi..I NEVER asked for an Rx. I got my Doctorate of Medicine and my ScN (Doctorate of Nursin/trauma), I choose to stay in nursing and did so. I am taking nothing due to the probable rescheduling of hydrocodone. Stopped cold. NO WITHDRAWL!!!!!!! The only nice thing about being a rapid metabolizer. I now receive only disability. $$ is an issue (ie. travel) The state of TX, esp. the county I live in and surronding counties are terrified of addiction. I WANT MY LIFE BACK.

I can understand that you want your life back and I meant no disrespect....

As an MD and ScN you understand the limitations of modern medicine and the quagmire that the practice of medicine can become nowadays with every low level bureaucrat sticking his nose in minor detail and trying to run things.

From what you posted, as I stated above, your next best course of action is to gather up your medical records and hand carry them (so they don't end up being lost...) and consulting with a medical team at a Major University Hospital. Also, in such a venue you will have a better chance of being treated as a "member of the club" which you have earned though your years of advanced training and expertise.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick: I trained @CWRU. I have all my records. I cannot go back every month to get a script for fentanyl(sp) Now being off the Lorcet I can barely walk. The SOUTH does NOT like the NORTH. My frustration is WHY are Docs soooo afraid of addiction if the pt. is monitored? Why do they not understand a rapid metabolizer?

Dr. Carole

I wish I knew....

I trained in Texas so, been there, done that and I understand what you are up against.

Unfortunately, as you know, there is no easy solution that is, until you find a MD who understands that your are different and is willing to work with you. That doctor is out there....somewhere.

See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor too ;)

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick

Have a Happy Halloween and enjoy feeding all the little monsters that come to your door tomorrow evening...