Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 52 year old male. In the last year I have developed

I am a 52 year old male. In the last year I have developed problems with numbness in my right hand mainly, but also some numbness in my left hand also. This occurs during sleeping. The numbness is so severe that I awake throughout the night. It is difficult to alleviate this numbness by adjusting my sleeping position or shaking out the arm to increase circulation. Often the numbness continues through the first couple hours of the morning and doesn't cease until I begin working. Previously, I attributed this pain to physical labor ie. hammering/drilling - but this can't account for the associated pain in my left hand which is not my dominant hand. I am in great health and my blood work completed about three years ago did not indicate any problems with cholesterol/diabetes. Please advise. Regards,
Matt Lindenmeyer
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

I am sorry you are having numbness in both hands .

you could have a herniated disk or a pinched nerve in your lower cervical or upper thoracic spine or pinching of the spinal cord in the neck whicn can cause numbness in both hands on both sides.

you should see a doctor and get a neurological exam and see if a cervical spine MRI scan with contrast can see if any of the nerves there are pinched by bone or a herniated disk which might need treatment to help decrease the pressure on the nerves and help the numbness.

do you have a doctor you can see who can evaluate the numbness and order you an MRI scan of your spine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have any neck or back pain - any chance a pinched nerve in the right elbow or right shoulder could cause a lack of circulation to the right and left hands both? Of could a gangleon on my right thumb effect the circulation to both hands?

a ganglion on one side would not affect circulation on the other hand.

a pinched nerve on one side would not affect both sides.

you could have a condition on both side like carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands to cause numbness in both hands.

this would need to be checked as well as your spine. if you work with your hands frequently, you could have something like carpel tunnel syndrome in both of your hands.