Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

hello, i have just been to the bathroom (number 2) and as i

hello, i have just been to the bathroom (number 2) and as i stood up.. i realised the entire bowl was full of bright red blood. I am currently at work. I work at a hospital (research department) and wanted to know if this is something i need to get checked asap or can i wait to make an appointment? (i am a female, 26 years old)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you most likely ruptured an internal hemorrhoid which can bleed quite a bit and cause the entire bowel to fill with bright red blood.

you should get this checked ASAP to make sure the hemorrhoid bleeding stops. you might need a stool softener and steroid suppository to calm down internal hemorrhoidal bleeding. you also need blood testing to check your hemoglobin and iron levels which could be down as well.

that is good you are not in pain. but do get this checked as soon as possible to make sure the bleeding source is stopped

let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you Dr David.

I guess my next question is do i go to the hospital or to a GP? do i need to leave immediately or can it wait a few hours?

Thanks for your help.

you can wait a few hours

I would go to the hospital ER or urgent care center

they can perform blood testing and make sure your bleeding has stopped and set you up to see a GI doctor in follow up. hopefully this hemorrhoidal bleeding will stop and calm down with treatment.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.