Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have taking 3 mg of Clonazepam plus 1.5 mg of Mirapex. I

I have taking 3 mg of Clonazepam plus 1.5 mg of Mirapex. I have been on this amount for over 1 year with no side effects other than morning fatique. I have never been questioned or warned about suicide or other effects. I am a recovering alcoholic, attending AA, and have had no increase in the desire to drink. I have be sober for 2 years. Am I taking a relatively high dosage of Clonazepam considering the lake of negative but potentially dangerous side effects?

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Clonazepam 3 mg is high dose.

Dr. D.J. :

Although you do not have any side effects now, the longer you remain on high dose, the high the risk of side effects.

Dr. D.J. :

Mirapex also causesdrowsiness along with clonazepam.

Dr. D.J. :

Long term clonazepam use also can affect your memory.

Dr. D.J. :

It is better to gradually reduce the dose of clonazepam to 2 mg daily to avoid the risk of side effects.

Dr. D.J. :

Please discuss with your doctor before doing so.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Dr. D.J. : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Dr. D.J. : Hi there,
Dr. D.J. : Clonazepam 3 mg is high dose.
Dr. D.J. : Although you do not have any side effects now, the longer you remain on high dose, the high the risk of side effects.
Dr. D.J. : Mirapex also causesdrowsiness along with clonazepam.
Dr. D.J. : Long term clonazepam use also can affect your memory.
Dr. D.J. : It is better to gradually reduce the dose of clonazepam to 2 mg daily to avoid the risk of side effects.
Dr. D.J. : Please discuss with your doctor before doing so.
Dr. D.J. : Best wishes,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In the past year I have not had any noticeable change in memory although I am told I would be the last to be aware of changes. It is advisable to continue with the drug in view of my past addiction to alcohol?

That is again a good concern.
Usually, it is not recommended given the history of alcoholism in the past.
However, if your symptoms are worse without the medication, then there needs to be a trade-off.
In that case, low dose clonazepam may be ok under close supervision.
Other medications can be tried like SSRIs ( sertraline, paroxetine), or tricyclic anti depressants ( nortriptyline) or gabapentin if not tried before.

Best wishes