Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Can an intestinal parasite last for years and be misdiagnosed

Can an intestinal parasite last for years and be misdiagnosed for celiac disease ?
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified physician with over 20 years of clinical experience. I will help you with your question and any follow up questions you have.

Generally not.

Celiac disease is diagnosed from positive antibody tests to gluten, and from small bowel biopsy.

It would not be confused with parasites, and parasites would not give these tests as positive.

Parasites are diagnosed from identification of the eggs or other forms of the parasite in stool. This would not ever be confused with celiac disease.

There should be no confusion once the correct testing is done.

Both conditions might be considered, but parasite infections do not typically go on for years chronically undiagnosed, while celiac more typically can.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a little disappointed in your general response for Celiac disease. My daughter was diagnosed with PRE CELIAC DISEASE not celiac disease. She is doing everything her doctor has told her to do and still not getting any better. With everything that I have read on intestinal parasites they can live for weeks or even years and mimic other similar conditions. We have also read about countless other diseases that can have the same symptoms as Celiac disease. I feel I am grasping at straws here and once agin feeling like I have hit yet another wall of a text book answers. I need real answers.
If you are concerned about parasites then 3 stool samples can be done.

5 if you don't trust the lab.

It is completely incorrect that there should be confusion between these diagnoses..unless you don't have the correct doctor for her.

A gastroenterologist would be quite capable of doing the correct testing.

There is no standard diagnoses for "pre" celiac that already raises a red flag.