Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a 71 obese female. I currently cannot walk or stand and

I am a 71 obese female. I currently cannot walk or stand and can move legs a little in bed. Legs feel like lead. I am currently bed ridden. Also have tremors in hands

I have had MRI of brain and spine. Spinal doctor does not see any issues bad enough to cause inability to walk just some stenosis

Neurologist did not see anything on brain MRI to explain problem. I have normal EMG and blood work. Neurologist suspected poly myosotis before above tests came back and prescribed prednazone. But took me off when everything came back ok. Neurologist is stumped.

Looking for 2 nod opinion. Don't know what to do.

I also have an old broken hip I was unaware of since I feel no pain

I don't know if maybe its medication. I am a diabetic who takes metformin, I also take toprol XML ,diovan, and norvasc for bp, Zoloft, pradaxa, amiadarone, fish oil and probiotic.

Please note the loss of use in legs was gradual and started a few years ago and had gotten progressively worse. I took several falls last year the last in which I fractured my left leg.

Any ideas I am at a loss of where to go next
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Tircia,

I am sorry to hear that you have been bed ridden and no one has been able to come up with any solutions for you.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there other diseases to check for like MS, Parkinson's, Lymes? I don't feel like everything has been checked with just a neurologist. How about medications that can cause this
Tricia,

That is an excellent question and I agree with you: There are a large number of issues that may be contributing to your problem that your doctors do not seem to have explored at this point.

To go over your list:

Lymes: Probably not as your issues are way more severe...

MS: It is the great impersonator, so...perhaps

Parkinson's: you would have other signs and symptoms at this point.

Medications can cause all sorts of side effects and we have not discussed your meds. But, it is unlikely that a medicine side effect is at the root of your serious problems and that your doctors would miss it...

That is why I feel you will be best served to go to a Medical Mecca for a complete, think-outside-of-the-box workup by the Professors of medicine.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC