Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

heparin drip ordered for 12units/kg/hr. supplied dose is 25000

heparin drip ordered for 12units/kg/hr. supplied dose is 25000 units in 250ml. Patient weighs 180 pounds. How many units will be infusing?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Is this for a real patient or for a school question?

Dr. Rick, MD :

What will be the are the drip rates?

Dr. Rick, MD :

or is that what you are looking for?

Dr. Rick, MD :

The patient weighs 250lbs/2.2 lbs per Kg = 81.8 kg

Dr. Rick, MD :

at 12 units/kg/ hr he needs 81.8Kg * 12 units = 981 units of herparin per hr

Dr. Rick, MD :

the infusion solution has 250,000 units heparin in 250 ml saline = 1,000 units/ml

Dr. Rick, MD :

So. The patient needs 981 units/1000 units per ml =0.98 ml/hr of the heparin solution.

Customer:

This is for a job medication question---no, the patient weighs 180 pounds and the supplied solution is 25,000units in 250 ml. Please recalculate.

Dr. Rick, MD :

So. Just give him 1ml/hr....close enough.

Dr. Rick, MD :

That is the calculation above....

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Ok.. redo at 180 lbs...

Dr. Rick, MD :

180/2.2 = 81.8 kg....OOps! I typed 250lbs above (which is wrong) but I did all my calculations using 180lbs body weight (which is correct)

Dr. Rick, MD :

So the answer, 1 ml/hr, is correct.

Dr. Rick, MD :

That is not very much......

Dr. Rick, MD :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

You are saying just give 12units x81.8 = 981 units per hour? That is not one of my choices...984 or 9.84 or.984 or 98.4. Can you see my dilemma?

Lori,

Go with 984 as your answer....depending on rounding the answer could vary a bit...at that is the closest answer to the truth given the calculations.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS