Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Whats the difference between free testosterone and total testosterone?

my total is 291
my free is 81.8
are those good numbers? and whats the difference?
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
The vast majority (98%) of the testosterone in your body is bound up with proteins (SHBG) and is not active or useful for your body.

Only about 2% is unbound, or bound to another compound called albumin, and it is this testosterone that used by your body for all that testosterone does.

Both types are tested for by the lab.

Normal varies from lab to lab, with each place giving a range considered normal for their testing procedure. This number should have been supplied to you with your results and will easily tell you if your values are "normal" for their lab.

That being said, 350 to 1200 ng/dl is considered normal for total T and 5.5 to 12.3 for free T

Remember, though, Normal Free T levels vary by age and drop by about 1% per year....

So. Is your values OK? From what you have posted, your total seems a bit low and your free a bit high....

You need to check with your doctor and lab to be these values into better perspective.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lab that tested me says normal range for free testosterone is 35-155 pg/ml
And for total t(NNN) NNN-NNNNng/dl
So which value is more important free or total

I do use adroderm low dose testosterone patch

Both are necessary but free is what your body actually uses so, in that light, free could be considered more important.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS