Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi - briefly. For several weeks now I am finding I have had

Customer Question

Hi - briefly. For several weeks now I am finding I have had bowel movement urgency in the morning - very loose and light colored stools. I have what I would describe as biting stomach in the morning before I eat, sometimes with gas and burping. I have a fair amount of gas and distension throughout the day and anything I eat or drink seems to produce gas and bloating and distension. I also find that in the morning just a couple of hours after eating my breakfast the biting stomach comes back, but isn't as prevelant the rest of the day. Any thoughts as to what this might be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Do you have any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Have you fouled yourself or the bed due to loss of stool control?

Customer:

no I haven't ever fouled the bed - but I did have a near accident a few weeks ago - but made it to the bathroom just in time. I would say main symptoms are the biting stomach particularly in the morning, lots of gas throughout the day manifesting itself through burping and flatulence, and distension/bloating and pain particularly on the right side of my gut - nothing really on the left

Customer:

the near accident was in transit as I was driving in the morning from one place to another

Dr. Rick, MD :

Have you tried any OTC medicine like lomotil?

Customer:

no I haven't - but I want to really get to the bottom of the cause

Dr. Rick, MD :

Have you noticed, when you do have formed stool, that is it very thin in diameter or is it pretty normal?

Customer:

they are generally formed but soft - and like a light tan in color - some days thinner than others - but those are usually days when I am under more stress....almost always have a mild gnawing feeling on the right side

Dr. Rick, MD :

The color of the stool is usually nothing to worry about as it can vary for a million reasons.....but, one more question: Do you have pain/discomfort on your right side near the bottom of your ribs?

Customer:

yes to your last question

Dr. Rick, MD :

sorry...my 8 month old granddaughter was crying and I'm on baby duty while my daughter gets ready for work.....

Dr. Rick, MD :

Ok. Thanks for that extra information.

Dr. Rick, MD :

First of all, I do not like the fact that this has been going on for several weeks......

Dr. Rick, MD :

It is possible that your continued diarrhea is due to a malabsorption issue...and given the right side pain, it may be from a gallbladder problem.

Dr. Rick, MD :

In any event, it is time to stop ignoring this/treating it at home and get in to see your internal medicine MD.....today if possible.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Is this an emergency? No. But it should be checked out in the next day or so.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I was thinking perhaps a malabsorption issue as well - just to be clear the pain/discomfort isn't just below the rib cage but the whole right side

Dr. Rick, MD :

It can be referred to a larger area.....but the pain is telling you something is wrong, and having it go on for several weeks is telling you that it is not going to get better on it's own or with home therapy...time to punt and see your MD.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Sound like a good plan?

Customer:

one last question - your thoughts on whether it could be h pylori?

Dr. Rick, MD :

It does not sound like a ulcer issue so I do not think H pylori is the underlying cause of all the issues you are having. Could you also be infected with H pylori? Yes, of course. But it is the primary actor in this play.....

Dr. Rick, MD :

And your stomach is on the left.....

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Rick, MD :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC