Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 65 year old male with controlled hypertension,I am also

I am a 65 year old male with controlled hypertension,I am also very active I run 20 miles a week.I have a resting pulse between 50-58 bpm.Lately I have been experiencing some irregular heart beats. My doctor wants me to wear a holter device for 3-4 weeks.I am very concerned that may lead to having to get a pace maker. Are there other alternatives?Is it posible that these irregular beats are ectopic and may not need treatment?

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes if you have palpitations then the most common cause of that symptom would be PVC's ( premature ventricular contractions) these occur occasionally in everyone but more often in others...
Anthony Bray, MD : a benign finding of some PVC's would not be cause for need of a pacemaker!!
Anthony Bray, MD : frequent PVC's might lead to a recommendation of a magnesium supplement --- this is over the counter and harmless!! Magnesium oxide 250 mg/ day is over the counter and tends to reduce irregular heart beats such as frequent PVC's...
Anthony Bray, MD : Now of course the holter monitor could range in terms of findings--- certain rhythm disturbances might call for medical treatment....
Anthony Bray, MD : some findings might call for more aggressive treatment such as a pacemaker or implantable defibrillator --- ( ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation )
Anthony Bray, MD : some findings such as a significant AV block could lead to need for pacemaker ...
Anthony Bray, MD : It sounds to me that you probably have a healthy heart based on your exercise!! I think need for pacemaker would be unlikely !!
Anthony Bray, MD : i do agree that you have symptoms that warrant further check--- you are being set up for appropriate testing --
Anthony Bray, MD : it would be a leap to presume that you need pacemaker or other invasive treatment at this point though!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Hopefully you will not need pacemaker or other invasive treatment...
Anthony Bray, MD : the recommended treatment ( if any is needed) would depend on your test results if course...
Anthony Bray, MD : if occasional PVC's then this may be within normal range... If you had certain rhythm irregularities such as SVT or atrial fibrillation ( these are rapid rhythm abnormalities but not the most dangerous) then medical treatment would be recommended ...
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this information is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : if my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank you and best regards!
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

One last Question,Is the resting pulse acause for concern

Anthony Bray, MD : Hi again!
Anthony Bray, MD : No!! Resting pulse greater than 50 is harmless ( usual normal range resting pulse is 60 to 100) but resting pulse greater than 50 is fine and often sign of GOOD heart health -- athletic training leads to lower resting heart rate...