Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Having a stomach polyp removed and need to know what foods

Having a stomach polyp removed and need to know what foods I should/should not eat immediately after procedure
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 9 months ago.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. There are few aspects that you should keep in mind.

1. Avoid fatty foods for few weeks after surgery.
2. Prefer foods high in protein.
3. Avoid water intake before meal as you may feel full just after eating small quantity of food so drink water in between meals.
4. Instead of water, tea and coffee, prefer fresh juices and supplements like Ensure powder mixed in water as it gives you the number of calories you need.
5. You must change your diet timings. If you are taking meals three time a day, you must eat 6 times a day as you will not be able to eat food in large quantity so reduce the amount but start eating more frequently.
6. You must chew your food well because your stomach must work less and your teeth should work more.
7. There is term we use "Trial and error approach" One food might not suit you initially and other might do so keep the record of what you eat and then assess that how it goes, does it give you diarrhea, abdominal pain or fullness and then start avoiding that food and prefer those food which bother you less.
8. Prefer skimmed milk and avoid alcohol and carbonated beverages.
9. Eat cereals, whole grain bread, rice and pasta but avoid biscuits and donuts.
10. Eat fresh fruits of any kind but avoid dry fruits.
11. All fresh vegetables are good for you but avoid gas forming vegetables like cabbage, broccoli.
12. For meat prefer fish but try to eat steamed milk instead of fried fish. In general avoid fried foods.
13. Low fat cheese is good for you but avoid heavy creams.
14. Low fat ice cream is also good for you after surgery.

So you have a vast list of foods that you can eat. It will take around
4 to 6 weeks for complete recovery and may be early but you should keep this much time in your mind. I am happy that you are thinking of taking care of your diet and that is the most important aspect after abdominal surgeries. I wish you good luck and pray that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery